Front brake hose connection

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Melvin480
Knows where Volvo is from

Front brake hose connection

Post by Melvin480 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:41 pm

I'm about to change the front calipers, disks and pads. I also have new brake hoses, so I want to install them too. I'm not sure how to remove the hose from the car's end.
(picture from the partsbook) Should I hold the brake pipe's threaded end in place with a spanner and rotate the hose? Or is it a sort of nut (don't now how to call it) that can rotate around the brake pipe and that is screwed into the brakehose. Then I should hold the brakehose in place and rotate the nut?

Can anyone explain it? :D

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:25 pm

hold the nut thing (part of the pipe) which is the to the right of pic 18

then undo the screw thread which under (at bottom of) pic 15

If you don't do this then your really fook it up.

WD40 lots first and leave for a while then try it.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Melvin480
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Melvin480 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:31 pm

Got a bit scared by the "If you don't do this then your really fook it up" part, maybe I will keep the old hoses as they are 2 and 3 years old.

If I understand it right then the screw parts can rotate around the copper brake pipe (that is where the WD40 is needed for, to make it rotate smootly)?

If I remove it like described then it is just the case of removing the hose and refit the screw part of the brake pipe into the new hose?