Bit of braking advice needed

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Jimmy
Started learning about 480

Bit of braking advice needed

Post by Jimmy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:21 am

Following on from an earlier post here:

http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=15867

I have been doing a bit of research into brakes and am wondering if I am going OTT wanting to upgrade to grooved BlackDiamond discs and pads etc.

I don't intend to ever take the car on a track and on the road I do not drive particularly quickly (I enjoy being an observer for the IAM and a speeding ticket would not go down well at all :-)).

I was only going to upgrade the brakes to make sure they can cope when I get around to upping the power of the car later on, and to give me a little extra stopping power in an emergency.

So, should I bother with relatively expensive discs and pads or would it be cheaper to just buy standard replacement parts?

I guess I might be able to fit vented discs from a turbo, but does this require different calipers? And, as far as I understand the vents only really help reduce brake fade, something which I am unlikely to experience.

Maybe just standard discs and some slightly better pads? Would definately be cheaper and may even release enough cash to lower the car at the same time.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:37 am

get the system flushed then clean up the calipers. I would check the calipers move in and out first if the dust seal is busted or not then perforamncepartsforvolvo sell the kit..

fit ebc kevlar pads and off you go.

I did this couple weeks ago to another 480 and seems to have done the trick.

however this one (turbo) had vented disks and yes you need vented calipers as the disk is thicker.

I am looking at big brake upgrades as I feel the standard setup is crap and can smoke when pegging it. Ask JT.

Avoid the drilled disks. They can CRACK.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Jimmy
Started learning about 480

Post by Jimmy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks Martin.

I have no real problem with the brakes as they are, I just thought if I was replacing them it might make sense to upgrade them a bit.

I will have a go at getting the calipers off (although from other threads it appears this may not be as easy as it sounds) and having a look. Looking through the wheel it appears that the calipers have been replaced / repainted fairly recently and so I would hope that they were serviced/checked over etc at the same time.

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:21 am

You need a 8mm allen key. Most sets will not have a 8mm key. I got on my 2nd run to halfords :angry: a 8mm on 3/8 socket.

1st thing IF you are removing the caliper for cleaning only....

14mm open spanner to losen the brake pipe from caliper end.

otherwise have cable ties ready.

Unclip using screw driver the spring on side of caliper (little thing)

removed the 8mm bolt X 2 (under the plastic dust covers) from engine side of caliper.

Caliper will be lose now

Pull caliper off (might need to leaver it off) and attached to cable ties so the brake pipe is not damaged.

One pad will come off with caliper. The other might stay,

Use wire brush to remove crud (i use a drill wire brush)

Push caliper piston back into caliper body (i used a small record vice or a big pair of grips should work) If your unable to make sure the piston is rust free under the dust cover or clean it then use a small vice to push back.

replace pads

put back caliper and line up 8mm allen key bolts (copper grease these 1st) bolts back in.

clip back in and tap it back down into locating holes.

Bleed the air out (11mm spanner I think)

Use lots of WD40 before you even think about doing the job. If unsure then someone else do the job as your kill yourself if not done right.

Of course read the manual also!!

The above done on vented calipers.

No need to removed the pad carrier or disc. I'm sure someone will point out if I missed anything as this done off top of head.

regards
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by felyx » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:44 pm

if you have solid disks PARTCO do ATE fast road slotted disks for about £45 a pair , they gave a noticible differance and much less fade on country rants etc//.
140mph for £175 just test the brakes