Overhaul of rear brake calipers.

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

CRKrogh
480 Newbie

Overhaul of rear brake calipers.

Post by CRKrogh » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:38 am

Hi, all!
I've got a 1988 Volvo 480Turbo being due for the danish version of MOT. When I got around to the brakes, I ran into a problem. The front brakes were a doddle, came apart fine and just as easy to reassemble. It was when I started on the rear calipers, my problems started.
When I push the brake pedal down, the pads squeeze together just fine, but when I pull the handbrake (and also by activating the lever on the caliper), no response. With the pads removed, I tried resetting the brake piston, with proper tools, but it seems pretty stuck, even though it seems to behave okay when using the brake pedal?!?
When I look at the caliper there is the brake fluid inlet, the bleed valve and then an extra hole being plugged with a screw. This extra hole was dry when I removed the screw - what is this for?
The handbrake cable has a minor bend, but doesn't seem to be affected by it; when activated, it retracts and extends as I would expect. Also, the actuator lever on the caliper itself can be operated by hand (of course to a smalle extent), but this doesn't seem to activate the brakes at all.
Another thing, I don't understand, is the "stuck" piston - it feels really solid when I try to push it back to make room for the new brake pads (actually, I am not able to push it back at all), but as I said above, the brakes work fine when I push the pedal down?!?
Hope someone here can bring a hapless Dane closer to a solution as the deadline for the MOT is getting close. :(
1988 480Turbo, Manual, Graphite Gray Metallic , 120.0Km, Taurus Alloys

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:40 am

If you want to remove the piston you have to unscrew the bolt that screws from the caliper into the piston then I used a air line to force the piston out.

When you fit the piston brake in your screw the bolt back into the piston but it will not screw in. Force the piston back in using a vice and keep turning the bolt until it starts to screw in.

always use brake fluid as lube when doing brakes.

good luck
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

CRKrogh
480 Newbie

Returning the piston.

Post by CRKrogh » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:54 am

Hi! First, thank You for responding so quickly. The bolt, I am supposed to release in order to let the piston return into the caliper and finally set the handbrake - is it not located on the opposite side of the piston (the hole being plugged on the side not seen on the photo here)?
1988 480Turbo, Manual, Graphite Gray Metallic , 120.0Km, Taurus Alloys

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:30 am

The bolt has a round cover which ou 1st unscrew then inside is the bolt which you use a allen key to turn.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT