Brake cable replacement - tips

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

SteveR
480 Veteran

Brake cable replacement - tips

Post by SteveR » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:10 am

Mine just failed MOT on low effort offside handbrake. 480GT M reg.
Having replaced a caliper I realised that the brake cable was damaged and stiffer than it should be and replaced it iaw haynes but without removing the heatshield. Then decided to do nearside which is where the fun began. The heat shield wends its way following the exhaust pipe so trying to push the cable through wont work cos its not a straight line to the brake balancing arm. I did not want to remove the heatshield cos I could see it would be a load of bother. I found one bolt, rather than the self tappers, which when undone allowed the heat shield to spring away enough to get my wrist in and feed the handbrake through to the balancing arm. The ends of the cable have a little bar which sits into the balancing arm and the little bar has to go through a hole at the end of the heat shield. The pattern parts I had were slightly bigger than the originals so I filed a radius on each end of the bar so that it would go through the hole. Note that the radius must only be done on one side cos the other needs to be square to sit in the balancing arm.
This will become clear when you do the job.
Took it back for retest and thumbs up - no advisories.
All that effort so I could sell it maybe.
Steve Robson
---------------
This was my K Reg 2L LtdEdn TwoTone - now sold
At Nurburgring (pic Suddy)

No longer a 480 owner :-(