ABS problems

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Derek
Knows where Volvo is from

ABS problems

Post by Derek » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:21 am

i think the seals in the ABS pump might be on there way out. when you click the ignition on the pump wound come on for 30 sec or so to build up the pressure in the accumulator but if you pressed the pedal a few times the pump would start uo again to restore the pressure in the accumulator again but the (ABS) and (!) shaped light came on when i was driving and the peddel felt like it was'nt doing anything (really spongy). when i stoped (left the engine running) to cheack it the pump was going constantly and it sounded like there was air (bubbles) in the fluid when i cheacked the fluid in the resavior it was about a inch above the MAX mark. when i got home i left the car switched off for about an hour went out to get a propper look at the brakes and all of a sudden every thing is fine again but every time it get hot it all go the hell agian and you have all most no brakes again then when it cools down it go fine again. i've all ready changed the fluid and blead the brakes but the brakes still go crap and the light are still comming on every time the pump and the accumulator get really hot. so any one know if you can buy/replace the pump and the accumulator seperatly and if so where from and how much

( it's the ATE type ABS system which does'nt have the vacuum servo unit)

any help would be great

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:48 am

you can buy a seal kit for this unit from the stealers for around £30. This is the best bet as a new one will set you back a fortune and a second hand one you could end up with another dud. This happen to me. I bought and fitted a second hand unit which i was told was good when removed but was infact dead. I decided to strip the old unit and rebuild using the kit supplied from the dealer. Took a bit of time but mostly just because i was taking my time.

I don't know how you have blead the system but if you have done it as per the old way of using the foot pedal this can sometime push the seals out. I always use a pressure bleeder then the ABS pump once up to pessure on the rears then repeat it again. This has always sorted most problems. Its very good way of clearing blockages and air.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm