Front and Rear ABS Discs

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Loki
Knows where Volvo is from

Front and Rear ABS Discs

Post by Loki » Mon May 21, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi all, I was just wondering if the discs are the same for the ABS and non-ABS cars. I got mine smoking the other day after an emergancy stop from 130 :? . Brakes reeeeeeealy didnt like it. Neither did my passenger 4 that matter, and he drives like a twonk. Im defo gonna get an all round brake upgrade now. Just wondered if there is a difference between the disks. Ive seen some on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-440-460-480 ... dZViewItem. Do you think these are worth the buy? Ive got some for the fron lined up already. My car is a 2.0 on a M - 95 plate, with ABS.

Cheers Loki :D
93, 480 S - 235 red - In Volvo heaven
95, 480 ES - 235 red - Resting - Being reborn!!! :D
99, S70 T5 ex-police - In Volvo heaven
90, 740 Turbo (T5 turbo, Racing CAM + more) - silver - Stolen :(
94, 480 Turbo - 235 red - JT's old car ;)

rpruen
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by rpruen » Tue May 22, 2007 1:26 pm

They are the same, only the hubs are different for ABS cars (the teeth for the ABS sensors).

You need to stick to the same sort, as the vented ones have different calipers. Other than that I think they are all the same.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

eEm
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eEm » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 pm

I've just had the same problem with mine but my brakes faded well befor I expected to stop!

I've been searching for upgrade pads but they are not manufactured for the 480. Vented, grooved and drilled discs are to disapate more heat obviously but I can't see how heat can be a problem in our situation as the brakes only go on once. Solid discs are supposedly better for emergency stop situations as the disc expands quicker than a vented one therefore increases the pressure on the disc quicker and should slow the car quicker.

I wonder what brake setup mrPruen has on his supercharged-T3??????
Why won't God heal amputees?