Brake Discs

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Rikaitch
480 Newbie

Brake Discs

Post by Rikaitch » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:26 pm

I am trying to replace my front disc which has become warped (like me...), but I can't get the old disc off the hub. I have removed the caliper and pads, but I can't remove the cradle that the caliper bolts onto, because the back bolts are rusted solid and are almost prefect circles. I have loads of 17mm sockets to undo the bolts as well, but all seem too big :? . Until I get this cradle off, I can't get the disc out, so any advice on remove these bolts would be appreciated.

Oh, and if you're interested, I read that a few of you are having problems with the allen key screw that holds the disc on. I just used a very thin cutting blade for an angle grinder, and cut clean through the middle. Yes, it cut into the old disc, but seeing as I'm replacing that, so be it. I then undid it just using a (very) large flat bladed screwdriver.
Currently on Volvo 440 number 4, and after scrapping my first 480, I will get another one when space/money allows it.

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:31 pm

Buy new ones and cut the old feckers off.
Or get a decent single hex socket set. unfortunately if you've rounded them off already, angle grinder will probably be the best option.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto