ABS light on for 30 seconds

Brakepads, discs, handbrake. The brakes are crucial for your Volvo 480. Use this category to learn all you need to know!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Williewammes
Knows where Volvo is from

ABS light on for 30 seconds

Post by Williewammes » Wed May 24, 2006 6:40 am

Guys,

After starting the car the ABS light and the brake warning light stay on for about a minute before going out.

Can it have anything to do with the sensors being dirty, or does the system have a problem with its brake pressure?
I also have the idea that some of the ABS relais is missing.

Now the weirdest part, the ABS is working properly. Yesterday someone gave me a braketest after pulling the car just in front of me and braking because of me pushing him, and I felt the ABS working, the poor man (I don't mean that, he was actually a assh.l. :rofl: ) who gave me the brake test now has square tires :rofl:
After overtaking him and giving him a brake test too (couldn't help myself :D ), he had some seriously frightening moments again, because my car was enjoying the ABS again.

I did this post a while ago, no-one replied then, but I'm really curious about this.

Hope to have this cleared out. It's so annoying having a car that keeps on surprising you :D
Greets,

Williewammes

Volvo 480 turbo Paris bleu metallic 1992.
Volvo 480 turbo Grey metallic 1987

Check: www.wdesignonline.tk

jerlab
480 Newbie

Post by jerlab » Wed May 24, 2006 7:41 am

If it is a first ABS fitted on the 480s, the one with the ECU in the rear left panel in the hatch, it's normal.

As i saw in a volvo document, the limit for the light on is one minute for the first start :wink:
95' Turbo steel grey (Leila) and 90' ES lightblue (Lisa)

Moderator on www.volvo-480.org

Williewammes

Post by Williewammes » Wed May 24, 2006 8:24 am

Thanks for the reply.

It is indeed the first type of ABS system.

When I have been driving for quite a while and shortly after that start the car, the light goes out much quicker too.
I was kinda hoping it was allright, but now I can say that to my girlfriend without doubt :wink: She once asked me about the lights and I couldn't give a proper answer, now I can... :D
Greets,

Williewammes

Volvo 480 turbo Paris bleu metallic 1992.
Volvo 480 turbo Grey metallic 1987

Check: www.wdesignonline.tk

jerlab
480 Newbie

Post by jerlab » Wed May 24, 2006 9:16 am

You're welcome ;)

In fact, for the technical part, the light is on as long as the pressure in the ABS circuit is not sufficient for the ABS to work correctly

On my former turbo ( 88 ), after renewing the discs, pads, and fluid and cleaning the circuit, the light was on for about 5-6 seconds, but a few months later, it was 20 seconds, compared to the 45 before bleeding...
95' Turbo steel grey (Leila) and 90' ES lightblue (Lisa)

Moderator on www.volvo-480.org

ozturbo

ABS light

Post by ozturbo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:15 pm

What if the light stays on all the time like mine? Someone told me that if the battery has been disconnected, and the light stays on afterwards, the ABS needs to be reset by a Volvo service centre computer. Is this true? The previous owner said that the light only came on after he took the battery out.

volviz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Re: ABS light

Post by volviz » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:29 am

ozturbo wrote:What if the light stays on all the time like mine? Someone told me that if the battery has been disconnected, and the light stays on afterwards, the ABS needs to be reset by a Volvo service centre computer. Is this true? The previous owner said that the light only came on after he took the battery out.
good question.... then maybe mine ABS isn't dead at all, if it must be restarted :shock:
Image&ImageImage

ozturbo

ABS light

Post by ozturbo » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:48 am

I will try and find out from a Volvo service centre one day if noone in the 480 club knows what the story is. In any case, I am not that fussed if it works or not. A friend of mine once asked "when was the last time you locked the brakes up on a car?", and my answer was, "when I was 17 years old and ran into the back of someone due to inexperience". I think a good, experienced driver knows how to brake safely. The trouble with ABS, in my opinion, is that a lot of ignorant people think it enables them to stop instantly in any conditions, at any speed, which is patently not the case. Couple that with their belief that their tyres will grip in any conditions at any speed, because they believe the advertising, and you have big problems. My sister in law, who is a medical doctor, read some statistics recently which said that ABS has caused more accidents than it has prevented for precisely that reason. She and her husband, who is also a doctor, used to be big fans of ABS, and one of the reasons they drove Volvos was because they had it standard. The ABS stopped working on their 850 a while ago and they are not bothering to get it fixed. If mine is faulty I don't think I will be spending big money to fix it.

ozturbo

ABS light

Post by ozturbo » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:57 am

I fixed the ABS light this morning. I was looking at the computer and noticed that one end of the long rectangular plug had a bit sticking out that looked like it should hook under a roll pin in the end of the housing. It was in fact, sitting on top of it, so I pulled the plug off and refitted it correctly and bingo, the light goes out within seconds! I haven't tried any crash stops yet, but I'm pretty sure it will work.

volviz
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by volviz » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:24 am

Mine is already gone too... no ned for it in tracks :hopping:
Image&ImageImage