the gearbox strikes back

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

billy5000
Can tell where the 480 was built

the gearbox strikes back

Post by billy5000 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:19 pm

Hi all

Ive been under my es 2day and tried to fix the gearbox linkage (again).
well its got a slight bootless problem with where the linkage from the bar that runs under the car goes in(front end)
there seemed to be a rubber boot around this wierd round clip etc but it was dead so i put a new one in with a tierap or two but then lost first second and reverse.

turned out the rubber was too thick when compressed and stopping it engage(tried to be loving and give it that little extra)doh

now its all cut away again i have all my gears back so i stuck a shite load of graphite high performance greese into everything in that area and also where the bar goes to the stick.

my questions are.

is there supposed to be some kind of guard where the stick comes down as i have a hole with a weird fingersized tooth which because the main selector bar is very loose it catches when you try 1st gear but does go in after a try or two.

how do i stiffen this damn selector bar (what do i tighten)i couldent see anything usefull,also this looseness causes the bar to rub on the body below the gearstick(lubed with greese so it wont rub anything away(much better) (the hole again:(very loose and very uncomfy

so far its smoother with all the graphite but the bar is still loose and untill its tighten`d 1st is a bitch

any pics would be great but not needed as i have just spent a very tight 40mins under that damn area:):)

thank christ im only a small git,its very very shit when your shunting under with gravel everywhere and the kirbs just dont get high enough:)

cheers

sg
480 for life!!
1X)2 tone (silver/green)480ES 92 1.7i (140.000miles)(dead!!!

1x 480 es two tone silver/green 1992 1.7i(126.000)alive!!!godlike:)SOLD:(