What the .... bent clutch pedal!

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

What the .... bent clutch pedal!

Post by owen080808 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:19 am

Ok here's a wierd one, well seems wierd to me at least.

Just got in from driving back from near perth (about 80 miles) and realised from the off that something wasnt right, for a while i put it down to gearbox oil being cold/worn linkage just being hard to find a gear, but it got worse so i stopped whipped out the torch expecting to see the clutch cable loose or something but when i looked the pedal was severly bent towards the right hand side. i duly bent it back noticing of course that the metal didnt give the impression it would suffer many more bend/bends back before snapping off entirely. so clutchless gearchanges it was all the way to glasgow, bit hairy at times, lucky roads were quiet!

My question is what could be causing this? if im having to put unusualy high pressure of the clutch pedal could it be the thrust bearing worn out? i know the clutch is due for replacement soon but ive been putting it off as its driveable for a few thousand miles yet (insert joke about scots being tight here :lol:) so if thats likely cause then i better just get it done?

Secondly does anyone have a spare clutch pedal!? its off a '92 turbo but im not sure if this makes a difference, really dont trust it and even after only a few uses it seems to be bending again.

the whole thing left me a bit concerned about what might happen to the brake pedal if i had to stop in a hurry as it seems to be made of the same metal! :shock:

to top a fine evening off some c*** has changed the lock on my parking space so ive had to go for the double yellows option!

anyways any help/advice will be greatly recieved

Thanks
Owen
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:36 am

Well the cables are notorius for sticking, and then consequently causing the things on the back of the pedal to snap. Havent heard of a bent pedal before! Piece of piss to change though. Just get two 13mm sockets and and get one on either end of the long bolt that goes through all the pedals. Then withdraw the bolt just enough to get the clutch pedal off. Disconnect the cable and swap em over. Haynes is quite good at this actually.

Might be worth swapping the cable over. It will *hopefully* solve the stiff clutch problem and may even also stop the slipping a bit. THe cable gets crapped up inside and then when you dpress the clutch and when you engage it, it sticks and doesnt do it smoothly causing the clutch to slip.

My clutch is stiff but looking at the adjustment on the cable, it's still got a bit of life so i'm gonna try the cable and hope it solves it!
1996 Saab 9000 CSE 2litre EcoTurbo

Previously...
Peugeot 406 executive TD - The devil!

1991 Red Turbo - Great condition and surprisingly un-rusty!

1989 Light Blue metallic Turbo - Sold!

1993 Steel grey S - Bought for parts

1990 Red ES - Now resting in car heaven!

1989 Black ES - Great runner

1989 Black ES - Spares Car. I murdered it!

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:54 pm

cheers matey,
i took the cable out, it looked in pretty good nick, i gave it a grease but didnt make a huge difference, im booked in for getting a new clutch fitted on thursday, was slipping in 5th anyway so best just get it done.

My cable is also right at the end of its adjustment, i have tried already just to check that i couldnt overcome the slippage but it didnt help either, if you've still got some room for adjustment might well be worth a try, but for me it tended to just move the pedal higher up and make it more awkward to use and didnt affect the slip.
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:11 pm

My problem is when adjusting it just moves the pedal up. Mine feels different though as if the cable is sticking. When I engage first and sometimes other gears, it feels like it isnt engaging right away as if it hesitates slightly. Got to get a new cable but I have gotten used to it at the moment so no hurry! I may need to do the clutch change on it in the end but fingers crossed for now eh?!

Previously...

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:38 pm

Mine had sitcky clutch cable. I broke 2 screw mounting clutch cable to clutch pedal and finally clutch cable itself in the middle of trafic jam.
Then I changed clutch cable and it's feeling like butter now!
Before I wanted to change clutch itself because I needed a realy big force to press it. Now I can press it with one finger.
no car, why drive a car if you can fly SAAB
Previous:
-Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi '93 LPG powered
-'92 480 ES red 'Sports Edition'
-'87 480 ES red
pics>>> http://photobucket.com/albums/v304/mayah480/

guitarcarfanatic
480 Is my middle name

Post by guitarcarfanatic » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:46 pm

Thats a reassurance miloz. Mine is really stiff so hopefully a new cable will make everything better!

Previously...

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:57 pm

guitarcarfanatic wrote:Thats a reassurance miloz. Mine is really stiff so hopefully a new cable will make everything better!
Comparing clutch and clutch cable prices it's really worth trying.
no car, why drive a car if you can fly SAAB
Previous:
-Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi '93 LPG powered
-'92 480 ES red 'Sports Edition'
-'87 480 ES red
pics>>> http://photobucket.com/albums/v304/mayah480/