Gearbox Oil Plug

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Zackspeed280
480 Newbie

Gearbox Oil Plug

Post by Zackspeed280 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:37 am

Might sound stupid but what socket, allen key? size do I need for the gearbox oil plug?

Also, is there a way of draining the oil so I can replace it all? I don't think there is a leak anywhere but there is an odd noise coming from the drive and it continues if out of gear or not under power. Only about about 40 mph though.

Thanks for any help, I found the rear brake disc and pad change photo explainations very good - just need to find my correct size allen keys and I can do the job!
Far too many Capris in various build states
Westfield 2.0 Sport
Subaru Impreza Turbo Wagon
Volvo 480 2.0 Black '94
Range Rover 3.9 V8

DWalker
480 Newbie

Post by DWalker » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:44 am

Hi

Assuming you are talking about the manual gearbox, for the filler plug on the front you need a 3/8" square key.

Yes you can drain it, and the plug for that is further back underneath, and just needs a standard socket - if I remember correctly from doing mine it was a 10 mm, but it's pouring with rain so I am not going outside to check! It is very tight so do make sure you use the right size socket on it.

And as many others here will agree, if you are changing the oil refil with the proper Volvo stuff - comes ready in the right amount.

David
1995 480 Celebration 73/480 - flame red
1992 480 ES - oyster grey metallic - now gone
1988 480 ES - white - now dead!

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Yo!

I had this problem on my 1992 Turbo!

I thought clutch release bearing.Does it stop when your idling if you dip the clutch?

If yes,its your cambelt tensioners.Get done sharpish before the cambelt snaps on you.Dont do what I did,which was not know and promptly do 2k to the Lake District and touring!!

Steve. :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

Zackspeed280
480 Newbie

480 Noise still there

Post by Zackspeed280 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:28 am

Many thanks for all the help. On inspection the gearbox oil was full and in good condition (now have 4 ltrs spare just in case!). But the noise is constant when under way, dipping the clutch; turning the engine off etc doesn't make any difference.

Which leads me to thinking it must be the wheel bearings. I'm going to change the front discs at the same time (new car so a standard thing for my piece of mind). Are fwd wheel bearings as easy to change as a rwd car ones? Can I do it with a hammer and drift/large sockets or do I need to use a press (do have access to one but it restricts where I do the work. Or with no leaks from the gearbox is it likely to be the outer joints on the driveshafts? I'm new to this fwd lark so please bear with me!?
Far too many Capris in various build states
Westfield 2.0 Sport
Subaru Impreza Turbo Wagon
Volvo 480 2.0 Black '94
Range Rover 3.9 V8