Speedo connection

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Speedo connection

Post by martinholmesuk » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:03 pm

Can someone please post pictures/graphics of how the speedo is connected to the gearbox.

I need to how how it's held in and if there is a spring under and if it need pushing down and held down. It feels like the speedo sensor needs pushing down but there is a spring(?) pushing it back up. Right now it's falling about in the hole. (automatic btw)

Cheers
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Ally
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Ally » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:50 pm

Can't speak for the auto box, but when I swapped mine on a 2.0 manual there was no spring apparent. There's a funny little bracket that holds the sensor in the 'box, and it's held on with an allen bolt. Sorry, but I've no easy way of getting a picture of the sensor in situ. I can't find the bracket that goes with this sensor, but it's sort of S shaped without the curves if you see what I mean.

I managed to get the sensor out and in without removing anything else. I did it from above though and I can imagine with ABS and a turbo you would be struggling for space.

It would be worth checking the wiring before you go to the bother of removing the sensor. I changed the sensor only to discover the problem was a broken wire at the connector near the airbox. The resistance across the sensor is 2 ohms. If you disconnect the plug and find it is open circuit at that point try cutting a bit off the wire and trying again. You could also check for continuity between the connector near the airbox and the connector on the back of the speedo head as the wires run straight to there. I can't remember off hand which pins it is at the speedo head but I'm sure I found the info in the wiring diagrams in Haynes book of lies.
Fred - 1995 480 2.0i ES - Dark Green Metallic (106,000 miles)
Dave - 1993 480 2.0i ES - Steel Grey Metallic (148,000 miles)

alfonzobonzo
480 Rookie

Post by alfonzobonzo » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:40 pm

ahhh, same question really, Ive undone the retaining bracket, but i just cant get the bloody thing out :badmood:

it should just pull by the looks of it,

I'll never get my gearbox out at this rate, just spent about 20 mins undoing a tiny 8mm nut from the starter motor :angry:
Alfonz.

Toyota Celica G7 Tsport Storm Blue (LiftTastic)

480 L 1994 2.0 i Metalic Black K&N Panel SOLD (fond memories)

V40 W 2000 1.9 T4 SOLD (kind of miss it)

Mr Greedy
480 Newbie

Post by Mr Greedy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:32 pm

And another one.
I have the same type of speedo connection as discussed in this topic.

I have also removed the retaining pin holding the speedo cable in to the back of the transmission / gearbox housing.

The cable enters the housing at the very back of the engine, almost exactly in the middle. The book of lies suggests simple 'pulling' to remove the cable. This is, clearly, a big lie. It is stuck fast.

I don't want to just yank as hard as I can at the cable. I obviously don't want to damage it.

I think another type of speedo sensor may have a more traditional electrical pin connection.

Can anyone offer any advice?

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:38 pm

Speedo on the auto. I removed the allen key bolt then just pulled the sensor out but I also think from volvo it's held with a plastic cable clip to something else?
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Iroll480

Post by Iroll480 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:56 pm

The cable coming from the sensor consists of two wires 1 brown and 1 yellow. It changes from the connector under the battery box into a coax cable to the speedometer print. On the print there are 3 rows of six soldering dots. The ones numbered 6&12 are the ones from the coax cable. I had to resolder them to bring the speedometer back to life.

The resistance across the sensor is 2 ohms. If you disconnect the plug and find it is open circuit at that point try cutting a bit off the wire and trying again. You could also check for continuity between the connector near the airbox and the connector on the back of the speedo head as the wires run straight to there. I can't remember off hand which pins it is at the speedo head

Mr Greedy
480 Newbie

Post by Mr Greedy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:49 am

I see in the first picture from Martin, the gearbox must be hurtin' real bad.

It's actually bled all over the floor.

:shock: Real blood and everything!

ceda012
480 Newbie

Re: Speedo connection

Post by ceda012 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Ok, I see that the last post was in 2008. but I have the same problem today :?
The speedo isn't working at all, until I speed up to about 100/mph and then it starts twitching, and some sound is heard. I have opend the dashboard ((whole thing), every switch), and connectors where ok, same as wires on both of them. tomorrow I will go "down the stream", and I hope I will find some little wire that is cut off, and fix the damn SPEEDO!
:D
Volvo 480 Turbo '93 - White

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri May 28, 2010 9:03 pm

sounds like a dodgy sensor

Iroll480

Post by Iroll480 » Sun May 30, 2010 7:57 am

The speedo isn't working at all, until I speed up to about 100/mph and then it starts twitching, and some sound is heard.
Maybe it's more like a mechanical failure from the gears in the speedo regarding the noises you hear when the needle moves. If that is the case replacement is your only option.