Testing automatic transmission

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Bakke
Tuning oracle

Testing automatic transmission

Post by Bakke » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:08 pm

Hey guys,

I'm ready to buy a new 480 for daily use. My eye felt on a red 1.7 ES wit 84 000km on it. All is in good schape, but only 1 thing freightens me. I've always driven a manual gearbox and this one is a automatic. The automatic gearboxes I've driven always give me the impression they drive like a worn clutch on a manual box.
Anyone who can give me some tips to know if the box and clutch are still in good condition?

Thanks in advance

Greetz
Bakke
Whoever said : " A Volvo cannot be tuned ?!? "

Name: Goldlocks // Type: TURBO // Year: 1988 // Colour: 435 Saffron Pearl // Engine: B18FT (1.7) Rica chip, Custom Volvo widebody and lots of ICE

Bramdeman
480 Expert

Post by Bramdeman » Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:26 pm

Check the dipstick of the transmission and see what color the oil has, it should be red (not black). Also smell the oil it should not smell too bad, if it does it could be burned wich indicates slipping clutch plates wich is really bad.

When you drive it it should change gears quickly and steadily. The revs should never spike (not even a little) just before or after changing gears.

If it really has only done 84000km's their shouldn't be any problems at all but it couldn't hurt to do an oil change preferebly two with about 300km's in between. If you really want to be sure you could take of the sump and see what has gathered on the bottom and in the filter, but if it hasn't got any problems their is really no need.

Hope that's what you wanted to know,

Bram
'99 C70 2,3 T5 LPI Full option!
'98 V70 2.5Turbo LPI aircon ice etc etc <---Wrecked, she saved my life
'82 Porsche 928S 300HP 4,6V8 (scary)
'89 Red Turbo All Fixed up SOLD
'90 ES Lavender Metallic Automatic
'93 Two Tone Turbo!! Beauty! daily driver
'92 Red ES automatic
'88 340 1,7 Project car

iammart
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by iammart » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:25 pm

Hiya
If you've never driven an auto here are a few things to check from my experience - sorry if this is a bit of a dummy's guide but better said than not! :)

- Check that the selector moves freely and locks into place at each position
- You need to push the button half way or fully to change into certain positions
- You don't need to press the button between D & 3 at all, from N to D, or when moving up from 1 thru D
- The position letter/number should change to red when selected
- The engine will only start in N or P
- With the foot brake on, you should feel the car start to pull when you move out of P or N, but the revs should not change much and you shouldn't move!
- The 'box and gear changes should be smooth and pretty silent - you should only hear the engine change revs. Listen out for any whoops, thuds or squeals when it changes. It doesn't "snatch" like a manual clutch cos of the hydraulics, which is why you probably think it feels "worn"
- Driving gently (no load) mine changes up at around 2000-500rpm and you should be in top by around 40mph
- Driving hard should hold the gears longer but it won't redline unless you change manually to a lower ratio.
- It should also change down when the revs drop too low!
- Make sure that kickdown works - it should change down when you open the throttle fully, this may not happen at over 60mph though.
- You should be able to change ratio manually (watch your speed if changing below 3! :shock: )
- After a good thrash, stop and leave the engine running in P.
- Check it isn't dripping oil!
- If not, check there is some oil in it!! :D Hold the foot brake and change between all ratios slowly then back into P. Let it idle for a couple of minutes then pull out the yellow dipstick & wipe. If the engine's hot, put it back in with the "90" side up. Check the oil level - it should be near max.
- Use your nose like Bramdeman says - the oil should smell good & be red/pink if it's been changed in the past few years! (I didn't know that but my box seems to have survived 100k miles...). If it feels, sounds & smells ok then it probably just needs an oil change. Ask catgroom about Lubegard!

I think that's all and hope it helps. I bow to my more knowledgable auto-men :volvo: (and women! :wife: ) if I missed anything out...

Cheers!
Martin
-----------------------------------------
· '94 480 Turbo Auto ~ Paris Blue
· '71 Triumph GT6 Mk3
· Deep pockets :lol:

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:37 pm

Drive in 1st and max the revs and then force into 2nd and check for funny sounds, do this all the way into drive.

:D
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Tee bloody hee!!!!!!!

Post by catgroom » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:16 pm

:lol:
Yeah,Mart tried this as I did the same next to him in mine!!!!!!!!!!

Rich sat next to me.

"Whats that little black dot behind us" said Rich.

"Wipe the mirror a bit" replied me!!!!!!!!!!!

"Wheres Mart gone then" we said to one another!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

:hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

rpruen

Re: Tee bloody hee!!!!!!!

Post by rpruen » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:49 pm

catgroom wrote:"Wipe the mirror a bit" replied me!!!!!!!!!!!

"Wheres Mart gone then" we said to one another!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

:hopping:
Stop being mean to Martin :)

Otherwise I'll make his car do this.....

http://www.rpruen.btinternet.co.uk/imag ... _00001.mp4

If the little video clip won't play the force feed it to windows media player, it may complain but it should be able to play it.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:20 am

Your pay for those comments when I kick your puny white turbo ass.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT