Dicky Clutch

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Pandion
480 Newbie

Dicky Clutch

Post by Pandion » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:19 pm

Are problems with the clutch usual? I've had a few problems with mine, plus one of the other 480s i've obtained also has sticky gears (again clutch related). Is this just general age related wear?

I've just found out that before i got my 480, the pedal box was 'bent', the garage claimed to have fixed it, but my clutch went in the middle of bloody Manchester :angry: turns out the pedal had actually buckled. This happened to anyone else, or is it just that i have the touch of a baby elephant?

Even reading this back, it seems a little incoherent, but in my current fragile state :sick: i can't make it anymore eloquent, apologies
Parts stockpiled for future Turbo project:
Full Theiss Bodykit (requiring refurbishment) inc Front and Rear Fogs
New Rear Clusters
New Clear Front Indicators
Custom Hard Load Cover With 6 Speaker System and 'Cargo Hatch'
Digital Clock
Auxiliary Gauges

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:34 pm

I remember another user here saying they had bent their clutch pedal. It's common to have a 'sticky' clutch cable. Making it stiff. Proably related. What other problem with the clutch do you have?

pol

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Sun Sep 19, 2004 6:07 pm

hi joel

yeah, my clutch pedal was bent....at the elbow, where it bend to attach to the pedal box, theres a little nick (kind of a semi circle) of metal, this is a weak point.
get tthe clutch pedal from anothe 480, remove the long bolt that goes throught the pedal box, leave the accelerator and brake in situ, and just swap the clutch pedal.
i then put the bolt back in the opposite way, meaning the nut was on the clutch pedal side, in case it ever happened again, i wouldnt have to withdraw the whole bolt.
its not hard mechanically to do, but yuo do need double jointed arms to get in there!!
the cable may be sticking and causing this, as extra pressure has to be applied to get the same result....swap the cable while youre at it....its not hard

good luck dude...any probs, drop me a pm, and i will try to explain a bit more.
rgrds

rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

Pandion
480 Newbie

Post by Pandion » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:23 pm

Cheers Pol, Rob, gonna attempt the repair this weekend, i'll let you know how my amateur efforts go!
Parts stockpiled for future Turbo project:
Full Theiss Bodykit (requiring refurbishment) inc Front and Rear Fogs
New Rear Clusters
New Clear Front Indicators
Custom Hard Load Cover With 6 Speaker System and 'Cargo Hatch'
Digital Clock
Auxiliary Gauges