Gearbox : Queerbox

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

pol
480 Is my middle name

Gearbox : Queerbox

Post by pol » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:21 pm

Well i've broken it.

Was making some horrible noises in 2nd gear, so I checked out all the other gears, sounded fine, pulled into a car park, drove around a bit, and it went CLUNK. There is still some drive suggesting it's not all over for the box, but something is rattling round in there rather loudly and the car / gearbox locks up if you try to drive it.

I was thinking 2nd gear synchro / selector ring exploding or something. The guy who towed me suggested a clutch problem or gearbox bolts coming loose. Not sure about that though.

Any advise or similar problems.
Gearbox challenge II - soon.....
@Turbotwat: Are you up forr itt BoyO??

pol

MisterT
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by MisterT » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:19 am

I had the same problem. I was overtaking someone on the highway when I heard a loud bang and I couldn't change gears anymore. When I stopped I could, but I called road services anyway. He checked the gearbox and it was dead, although I could drive home slowely, but with gears.

If you jack the car, spin the front wheel and it makes a rattling noise, you'll have to find another gearbox. If it doesn't I believe it could be a loose bolt of the fifth gear.

I bought another, second hand gearbox with a month warranty. But the first had no third and fourth gear (they found out a the Volvo dealer after putting it in = 300 Euro and they had to get it out again = 300 Euro) so I exchanged it for a M59 type with less than 80000 km.

I has costed me 325 (gearbox) + 600 (installing and removing a faulty gearbox) + 600 (removing and installing the good one) = 1525 Euro. It's the only time when I considered selling my 480, because the only reason I could afford that was because I was living at home then :-(

Btw, I drove home with the broken gearbox and because of that the gearbox couldn't be revised. The housing was totally worn out.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:40 am

I'm hopefully going to build a good gearbox from 2 broken ones. My one with this new problem and Turbotwat's with a blown differential (He's got another M59 we're picking up friday). I should in theory just be able to split the 2 gearboxes, and as the differential is on one side and the gears / shafts on the other, just switch the two halfs! Not too sure on how to re-assemble yet as there are funny locating dowels for the selector rods.... Best get in the Tardis...

pol

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:46 am

good luck pol, if theres one thing i dont like its gearboxes! give me a nice electrical fault any day!!!
some days i really wish it was a rear wheels drive with a nice longitudally mounted engine and the gearbox slung right under the middle of the car.
.....sigh
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:17 am

Yeasss, had that thought before also...... But it's not... Oh no, it's all squashed in sideways with millions of pipes in the way, and some driveshafts, exhaust, a little bit of sub-frame, some screws and things.... Great!!

pol

Bramdeman
480 Expert

Post by Bramdeman » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:03 am

A volvo mechanic told me that the 480 turbo is the hardest gearbox change of all volvo's except voor the 850 t5

Felt real proud after switching it myself :D (never wanna do it again though :lol: )
'99 C70 2,3 T5 LPI Full option!
'98 V70 2.5Turbo LPI aircon ice etc etc <---Wrecked, she saved my life
'82 Porsche 928S 300HP 4,6V8 (scary)
'89 Red Turbo All Fixed up SOLD
'90 ES Lavender Metallic Automatic
'93 Two Tone Turbo!! Beauty! daily driver
'92 Red ES automatic
'88 340 1,7 Project car