Gear stick feeling rather loose

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Gear stick feeling rather loose

Post by MisterH » Mon May 17, 2021 4:32 pm

The other day I was driving home through Romsey and came to a mini roundabout. As is recommended for these I changed down a gear, going into 1st as I let a car out. Once I had done this I sped up and changed into second, as I did this I heard a very noticeable clunk and felt as if something had given way as I completed the change. Now I have changed gear with just enough and not enough clutch before and know what that feels like, and it is not that. The car hasn't had any noticeable change to its driving manners, but the gear stick does feel a bit looser than it use to be, not floppy like the Rover, but not as sharp as I remember it. In addition when the car is driving in gear I can waggle the stick a bit more than I would expect to be possible, and under acceleration in 4th the stick moves more than I thought it should.

Am I just imagining things or might I have run into an actual problem? I hope I haven't fuc*ed what is a very rare, reliable example of a 480 that usually works perfectly :boom:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Re: Gear stick feeling rather loose

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon May 17, 2021 5:06 pm

My previous launch car had a floppy gear stick and I presume a spring had got weak or fell off the centring mechanism at some point. I never got to the bottom of it so can’t really advise other than to say yes I’ve had the same.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon May 17, 2021 6:04 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:06 pm
My previous launch car had a floppy gear stick and I presume a spring had got weak or fell off the centring mechanism at some point. I never got to the bottom of it so can’t really advise other than to say yes I’ve had the same.
Thanks James. It still centres after a gentle push, has always done that, just feels a bit odd. But, if the gearbox isn't about to explode and send shrapnel into my leg (not to mention the dashboard binnacle :lol: ) then I can live with it
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon May 17, 2021 9:21 pm

have a look at your gearbox mounts

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Tue May 18, 2021 12:05 pm

Ok so I have had another commute today, and can elaborate

The gates feel quite vague, instead of having clearly defined corridors, it's a bit all over the place. That being said the car slips into gear nice enough, but it is just a case of doing it by routine rather than being guided. when in gear, the stick can be wobbled around a bit, sideways and lengthways, but it doesn't pop itself out of gear (yet)
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Tue May 18, 2021 4:45 pm

As has been said, it could be a gearbox/engine mount gone if you had that loud a noise...

However, my suggestion is to first get under the car and look carefully at the bottom of the gear stick where it meets the horizontal selector shaft running forward to the gearstick.

The arrangement is a fork with a metal dowel through holding the two together nominally at right angles. There is a nylon bush arrangement and a couple of rubber washers. That bush splits and/or the washers split and come out. You'd be amazed that what seems like a negligible difference in play if you replace those washers translates into a much firmer gear stick and selection.

My guess is you've shed some part of that bush arrangement...

I haven't described it very well but you'll see what I mean if you look at it.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!