Automatic gearbox plays up, seek advice

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ovlov480
480 Newbie

Automatic gearbox plays up, seek advice

Post by Ovlov480 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi all,

this is my first post on here and I hope you don't mind me asking a question to start with.

My wife has a 1992 Volvo 480 Automatic she inherited from her late father. The car will celebrate its 20th birthday on 26 November :wink:. We do not drive it very much but rather keep it as a future vintage car. If we use it, it is usually for longer trips of 200+ miles in a day. The car has done about 110.000 km (69.000 miles) since it was built.

So here is the question or problem: The automatic gearbox has now started playing up. The symptoms are as follows: With a cold engine the gearbox will not shift from 1st into any other gear. After driving a few minutes in first gear at max. 40 kph (25 mph), i.e. when engine and oil temperature have gone up, all of a sudden the gearbox behaves normal and continues to do so. At the moment the car is at the garage but they could not cure the problem yet and they don't seem to have much of a clue, to be honest. They have changed the automatic transmission fluid but the fault still occurs. I had a look at those two topics: http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... 13&t=19080 and http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/v ... =13&t=6365 but got no definite answer to the problem. A question of the German forum of Der kleine Elch produced no answers either. What could be the cause of the problem and what can be done to rectify this?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards from Germany

Christoph

JohnB
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: Automatic gearbox plays up, seek advice

Post by JohnB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi try adjusting the kickdown cable make sure it's not to tight