Auto Gearbox gear change

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

JohnB
Knows where Volvo is from

Auto Gearbox gear change

Post by JohnB » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi to all out there with auto gearboxes just wondered at what engine rev yours change or speed
And if there is anything you can do to make it change at lower revs many thanks

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Re: Auto Gearbox gear change

Post by chriskay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I assume you mean change up. Since it depends very much on the load on the engine at the time, there's no fixed revs/speed. The lighter you are on the throttle, the earlier it will change: but surely you know that already. :wink:
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

JohnB
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by JohnB » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:35 am

Yes had a 480 turbo auto around 14 years ago but can’t recall what it drove like this new car seems to be set at what rpm or speed it changes 1st to 2nd around 2500 rpm speed I haven’t noticed but it won’t changed to 3rd gear until you reach 30 if you drive at 29 mph it just stays in 2nd and same with 4th has to reach 45mph to change I have already changed the fluid with original Volvo fluid 3 times so it’s a nice cherry red and added lube guard as talk about I was wondering what process make this box change is it just mechanical or is there an electrical controller thanks

strongtom
Started learning about 480

Post by strongtom » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:09 am

I had a Turbo auto a few years ago, and I seem to remember it doing something quite similar, at low speeds if your not too heavy on the throttle, and I can imagine if like me you are just wanting to be a bit more economical on fuel its quite annoying, but as chriskay said it depends on the load you put on the throttle if your foots hard down it will/should stay in 2nd well past 30 (p.s. you get loads more if you put it into 2nd on the selector as you get a fun power band from about 4500 to 600 revs which it doesn't give you if your foot is hard down in full auto), but I'm guessing your wanting to know about how it drives when just milling around town, so to address your question I think that it is driving as normal, but sorry I don't know how it works or if you can lower the minimum "change up loading", someone will though....
Had a Turbo, then got a celebration, then had to go back to Turbo!!!