Jumps out of 5th

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

pol
480 Is my middle name

Jumps out of 5th

Post by pol » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:05 pm

Often when driving, my car jumps out of 5th gear. When i back off the throttle and go to put it down again it's in neutral. Also when it is doing this there is a lot of movement (hard to explain in words....errrmmm) say you're holding the gearstick in 5th with no throttle then put your foot down the stick fights and pushes back. This doesn't put it in neutral, but it does when you ease off the throttle again.... It only seems to do this when warmed up and then will suddenly stop and be fine for the rest of the journey.

I was hoping this would be solved with my new clutch and release bearing but it isn't.

What are the possible causes of this (don't anyone dare tell me I need to take the gearbox off again!).

Please advise on any ideas..

thanks

pol

king_j
480 Rookie

Post by king_j » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:18 pm

its a shot engine mount id say m8, the only real reason for the engine moving far enough to pop it out of gear.

id hazard a guess at the gear box mount, as you lot dont have top mounts on the 480s.
***CAR FOR SALE 2K AND ITS YOURS***

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:19 pm

mine done the same. I have an old turbo '88 back then with the original "weak" gearbox. At first a sound like a howl (like wulf) and then always lowder.

the 5 th gear came off, and the thing holding it , made of aluminum, broke. I did not work on this my selves, but i know the garage just took of the left front wheel, a plastic cover behind it, and the cap closing the gear box.(drain oil first, look for steel chips) the fift gear is right behind. You you can leave the box bolted on the car to work on the fift gear i guess.

I have a stonger, other box now. :)

hope its not bad.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:03 pm

Yes, these are both idea's I was thinkin of. Gearbox engine mounts seems likely, but why wouldn't it do it in other gears?? Should have really checked them better when I had the box off the other day.

I also saw diagrams of the box and saw that 5th is just behind the cover on the left hand side. Can the gears be removed through this cover then Volvofox? I would like to learn more about gearboxes. Might get a book.

pol

king_j
480 Rookie

Post by king_j » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:17 pm

think of the speed youd be doing in 5th and all the forward motion the engine will have and if you back off its all got to go somewhere, the mounts take it up but if yours is gone itll pop out, and i think its somtthing to do with the possition of 5th gear in relation to the lever, so its the most comon one to pop out.
***CAR FOR SALE 2K AND ITS YOURS***

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:50 pm

Ok, cheers king_j. Makes sense I suppose. Could try sticking it in 3rd on the motorway... But I wont. Guess the mounts arethe easiest thing to check befor I attempt to replace gearbox parts anyhow. Shall investigate...

cheers

pol

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:06 pm

yes I did thought this meccanic back then removed the 5 th gears through the lid, as the gearbox is still in the car, behind the left wheel (but i am not sure )

Hope its indeed as simple as a gear box, or engine mount, kicking it free.
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen