Clutch Question

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

kane
Started learning about 480

Clutch Question

Post by kane » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:35 pm

In a bid to uprate my clutch as the amount of torque my N/A B18E is chucking out is rediculous and causing major slip, i am now thinking of getting a turbo LUK clutch and have it thrown in.. now the theory is sound but is it pratical? would a standard turbo clutch go straight in with no modification to the flywheel (200mm N/A replaced with 200mm Turbo 3 peice kit?) and would it withstand the power for longer and allow more room for modification or should i look around to get one for a N/A and get it uprated.... looking for a easy and quick win option....

Regards
109,000 miles Volvo 480 B18E Custom made stainless steel exhaust and Ram air induction kit, Drilled and groved front brake discs brand new front and rear calipers with ferodo brake pads and sport clutch, (Reconditioned gearbox Professional) leather interior, snap off momo steering wheel, redline ignition components and PS2 the ultimate ICE system 4.1 surround sound and a dead speedo............ lol

kane

Re: Clutch Question

Post by kane » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:56 pm

Alrite no reply but i am assuming that the turbo clutch would be a direct replacement for the n/a correct me if I am wrong?

Thanks
109,000 miles Volvo 480 B18E Custom made stainless steel exhaust and Ram air induction kit, Drilled and groved front brake discs brand new front and rear calipers with ferodo brake pads and sport clutch, (Reconditioned gearbox Professional) leather interior, snap off momo steering wheel, redline ignition components and PS2 the ultimate ICE system 4.1 surround sound and a dead speedo............ lol

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 am

They both have the same gearbox, so thats a start...
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:24 pm

depends on the size of flywheel wheel .

Look up posts by B18ftlover as rob had several queries about this answered. So check it out there is definitely info on this.

kane

Post by kane » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:25 pm

From what i can make out if the flywheel accepts a 200mm clutch then any other 480 200mm clutch will fit anyway i am buying it and going to match it up to my old one if it matches it matches if not i'll send it back but i post up my results online theoretically it would be stronger clutch than the N/A but we'll see.....

for added support this might be a good thread for anyone looking to tune the N/A and needs to strengthen this part, although many would say scrap the N/A and get a turboooo.................. i beg to differ!!!

:nuts: :nuts: :nuts:

kane

Post by kane » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Just thought i would let everyone know it will fit as the holes to the flywheel and the pressure plate match, assumeably the driveshaft will match so the plate will match, seems like a sterdier and better made clutch as well, will post up in a couple of weeks the difference and hopefully it will be much better :D :D :D :D :D

kane

Post by kane » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Ok i know i am reviving something a couple of months down the line, but as the 480 is now off the road i can confirm i did have the turbo clutch put on it and what a difference it was, wheel spinning everywhere but it was much fun........ so yes on a standard 1.7 N/A you can fit the turbo clutch which did take much more poundage!!! Just a thought for all those N/A fans who want to the 480 to do more!!!

Regards

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by felyx » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:54 pm

If you take out your old knackered clutch , and send it by post to any number of companies :D , i use FRICTION SERVICES in Keynsham nr BRISTOL . They can over night ( good for your daily driver ) re surface the clutch plate in a racing compound at any thickness you like , i go for 1.5mm over standard for £25 !!!!!!!!!!

also if you havea spare pressure plate (this takes 10 days ) they can increase the spring pressure by up to 50% for £50 ! so for £75 you get a 300BHP clutch . I have done this 3 times . NO MONEY ON EARTH SPENT CAN BETTER THIS SOLUTION > ADMIN < make this a sticky will you please . Cheers Tim . the 480's are getting less and less :D
140mph for £175 just test the brakes