Gearbox Oil Filler Nut

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Raffadakis
Knows where Volvo is from

Gearbox Oil Filler Nut

Post by Raffadakis » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Hello everyone,

Just one little question: As my 480 keeps losing gearbox oil at the axe fitting and I don't have the money to get it done at the moment, where do I find the gearbox oil filling nut? As I seem to have tried to fill it through what seems to be the breathing exit :wall: You can do it this way, but it takes time :lol: I actually think I found it, but it would be nice to be sure on this one. Do I get it right, that the gearbox is actually only filled to the half with oil? Think I located the oil filling nut towards the front of the car, vertically centered on the gearbox. Might that be it?

Pictures would be appreciated :D

Thanks in advance
Raff

Derek

Re: Gearbox Oil Filler Nut

Post by Derek » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:27 pm

I don't have any pictures but the one you are asking about is the filler plug. on the front of the gear box about half way down should have an allan key fitting to remove it. Just fill it thruogh the hole till the oil is staring to come back out of it. Just make sure you get the right kind of oil some 480's have gearboxes with bronze shifter forks that will desolve if you put the wrong oil in.

Raffadakis

Post by Raffadakis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Hmm.... how do I find out? There's only one brand of gearbox oil available here :? :tomato:

gingherheed
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by gingherheed » Thu May 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Which cars have the melting bronze bits??