Gearbox vs. driveshaft vs. wheel bearing noise

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Re: Gearbox vs. driveshaft vs. wheel bearing noise

Post by bkf_uk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:52 pm

I reckon he's forgotten to grease the bearing myself, but apparently they come pre-greased?
Hmm never seen one like that before! they usualy come with a little pouch of grease (or all the ones ive bought in the past have!)

Same sound getting worse with speed and not affected by engine revs sounds almost certainly like a wheel bearing to me. Gearboxes tend to whine not grind and a cv joint will sound worse when turning or if failed make horrendus banging noises (know that from experience).
Toys:-
2001 Ford focus (not as much fun as my volvo was!)
94 440 turbo auto (Sent to the main dealer in the sky :cryhard: )
92 Suzuki gn250 (Still in rebuild)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Yes agree the wheel bearing comes with its own packet of grease . Have never seen a "pregreased" bearing.

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:50 pm

in fact just noticed your fairly local to me, could maybe have a listen for you, gotten know the sound of dead bearings owning and abusing suzuki jeeps in the past (mud kills bearings!)

blackbelt1990
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by blackbelt1990 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Can't you get a 2nd hand driveshaft? I cant see it costing as much as you think... :?

I definately wouldnt break it on this problem, surely if it IS the garage's fault, you shouldn't have to pay for the parts or labour this time round?
My 480 doesn't break... it just rests
[img]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g181/blackbelt1990/Volvow/sig.jpg[/img]

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:03 pm

seek legal advice, if it is considerd that the mechanic did a bad job talk to your insurance company who would probably be more than happy to sue them! Never have i heard of a drilled drive shaft why would that be done??? sufice to say that this sounds like the worste case of boggery i have ever heard (and ive owned some lemons of cars in the past!!)

Also driveshafts are avalible from a volvo 400 series breaker http://www.salvogroup.co.uk/salvosite.htm cost me £50 for a drive shaft from them deliverd (mines an auto as well whic is alot harder to get shafts for!!)

Also i could always give you a helping hand to do some of the work yourself and help lower the cost?

That should make things a touch more palatable

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 pm

Would need to check if the driveshaft I have is the correct side oh! you havent said which side :eek: , try and get one from salvo first (bkf's recommendation ) then if no luck contact me.(came from a 93 480 es)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:12 pm

Why scrap such a good 480 as a last resort buy a cheap 480 about £150 to 250 with reasonable drive shafts , strip out drive shafts and sell the rest as spares and ultimately scrap . Get all your money back and your car on the road. ;) ;) ;)

bkf_uk
480 Rookie

Post by bkf_uk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:51 am

440 and 460 shafts are the same, the shaft i bought from salvo was a drivers side one from a 480 turbo auto, and my cars a 440 turbo auto! therefore i can assure you that the parts are interchangeable (unless some burk sends the wrong auto shaft, like sending me a CVT one not the nomal auto). Oh one thing, auto and manual shafts are not interchangeable. I think that there might be a scrappy in w-s-m that has a couple of 480's & 440's in at the moment, ill try to see if i can get hold of them and if they have the shafts still on!!