Low biting point on new Clutch...

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Low biting point on new Clutch...

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi people.

My Dad's just had the clutch done on his '91 Turbo. Took it out, and turns out it was the original clutch! The splines had worn in the middle... Also discovered that despite the fact it's a '91 black manifold engine, the clutch that came out was the larger clutch. I always thought they were smaller than the later Turbo's? Anyway!

We've got the car home. The cable is adjusted under the bonnet correctly as it should be (correct mm's). However, with it setup properly, the clutch pedal is still a bit higher than the brake pedal (about 10 mm), and the biting point is right at the bottom as soon as you lift the pedal.

When i had mine done ('93 Turbo), the clutch biting point on the pedal was about halfway up, and with the cable adjusted correctly in the engine bay, the clutch pedal sat in line with the brake pedal.

I have a good idea what this may be, but i don't want to influence others input so would be interested to hear what others think/what the solution may be.

Dan
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

rgreenhalf
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by rgreenhalf » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:38 pm

Did you change the clutch cable at all? Could that be stretched?

Also 1991 was changeover year, I seem to remember Owens having an early turbo (CEM II, etc etc) with a silver engine, so i'm assuming bigger flywheel was just another hybrid during the switchover!
1998 Nissan 200SX - RWD / 260 BHP :)
1990 Volvo 480 Turbo - Sold
1994 Volvo 480 Turbo - Sold
1990 Volvo 480 ES - Broken

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:50 am

Possibly, if they used the larger clutch, they may have used the different length release fork. There is also an extension to the eylet on the gearbox through which the cable feeds. Changing these, i think, would change the length and the travel.

pol

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:59 pm

Right, nearly a month on...

The car has been sorted. Basically, the garage who fitted it fucked up right good and proper. The guys doing the job are good at what they do, but the owner is a twat.

Basically, the clutch they put in was not an LUK like my Dad had paid for, but some shitty value clutch. So when it was in, it was biting right at the bottom, so nearly as soon as you lifted the clutch pedal. The cable was adjusted all the way to the end, and the clutch pedal was about an inch above the brake pedal.

My Dad had a right battle with the owner. He blamed the guys fitting it initially, but when my Dad found out that the cheap-skate clutch was in, the guy wanted nothing to do with it and gave the responsibility back to the guys who he gave the shit clutch to.

When my Dad went back today, the owner, HOWARD of SAVE N DRIVE, GORLESTON didn't even have the guts to sshow his face. The chap who sorted it out was as nice as pie, as my Dad had maintained from the start.

If we had the space we'd have done it, but the garage is too small, plus Dad said his day's of playing with cars is over!

So there you go. I think the lesson here is not to trust Save n Drive in Gorleston. TWAT! :lol:

So there-the clutch is finally sorted! Cheers for the info though guys :)
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:29 am

Tossers. Glad you sorted it. What a pain in the arse though.

pol