AUTO PROBLEM - Driveshaft or something else???

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

johnvid
480 Newbie

AUTO PROBLEM - Driveshaft or something else???

Post by johnvid » Sun May 04, 2008 10:57 pm

Hi All,

Just had a problem with my car, but its dark so won't know more info till the morning.

I was parking the car on a hill, wet cobbles, I put the Auto into reverse, put foot down, and bang or clunk or thud, i thought it was a stone or cobble from the road hitting the underside of car.....

Then Lots of smoke coming from the nose area, though I thought it could be the exhaust fumes just traveling under the car, but there was way too much....

But the car still drove the foot or two I needed to park it. I get out of the car and there is oil on the road, there doesnt see to be much perhaps 0.5L

It is approx inline with the center of the car... Does anyone have any ideas at this point if it could be something other than the gearbox, ie driveshafts or DIFF, as i think with the wet cobbles perhaps the wheels slipped at different rates..

If it is the AUTOBOX, what is the current estimate for repair/replacement..

I looked under the car the sump plug it seems to still be there, lots of oil in this area, gaiters are caked in it but this is all normally like that...

Which other seals could go and leak oil...

All the oil still sems to be in the gearbox & engine but i cant tell as it is parked on a hill of about 30 degrees nose down,

Anyone have any initiall thoughts.

THanks for any advice johnvid

Ben Harris
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ben Harris » Mon May 05, 2008 4:56 pm

Not sure about the oil element, but I seem to remember that automatic 480's are particularly prone to destroying the rear engine mount bush, and that will result in a large klonking noise when going in reverse.

That'd be the first thing I'd check, if I were you...

Ben.
1998-2003 ... 1981 Austin Mini City
2003-2005 ... 1989 Volvo 480 ES (B18E)
2004-2006 ... 1994 Volvo 480 ES (B20F)
2006-2008 ... 1995 Mitsuibshi FTO GPX
2008-2008 ... 1994 Volvo 480 Turbo Auto (with RichMod)
2009-Onwards ... 1991 MK1 Eunos Roadster
2013-Onwards ... 1997 Subaru Impreza Turbo 2000 (Wagon)

johnvid
480 Newbie

Update

Post by johnvid » Tue May 06, 2008 7:25 pm

Well still not got to the bottom of this...

The bottom of the car has lots of oil on the underside of the autobox, Water was low, so maybe the radiator blew, and the leaking water may have run over the oil, making it look like an oil leak???

But the oil in the autobox seems to be very low so I wonder if that means a leak that has gotten worse?

But the main thing is it is still ticking over and engaging in all gears & drives...Took some pictures hope to post them soon, but it doesnt show much except in my eyes excesive oil...

How many Gaskets are there on the autobox, and can oil from this leak at any other places?