Inner CV boot (gearbox side)

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

suddy
480 Is my middle name

Inner CV boot (gearbox side)

Post by suddy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:26 pm

Does anyone have any tips for doing the above? I reckon I can pop the driveshaft out after removing the wishbone - any other method involves rusty bolts.
How do I get the 'spider' off the end of the driveshaft so I can slide the new boot on?

Stephen
1995 480 S 2.0 237,000 Miles

felyx
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by felyx » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:22 pm

you can get the checky super glue able unversal kit that requires nothing dismantling, i used one oncr for 2 years really on a BMW 525 etc, just a thought and they cost £4 where i live with grease kit and clips etc....
140mph for £175 just test the brakes

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:39 pm

I've had bad experiences with the superglue type....i'd never use one in that location, retaining the gearbox oil :S.

Better is the super stretchy variety...you have a plastic cone and you stretch it over the cone and onto the driveshaft without removing the spider. Its still tricky, but these last really well.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

suddy
480 Is my middle name

Post by suddy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:01 pm

I did the job properly by removing the driveshaft altogether.

New stub axle carrier bolts and a hub nut were fitted afterwards although the originals were not that bad.

Tried for ages trying to get the tripod 'spider' off, but in the end found that the new boot could be put on with it this still in place by turing the boot inside out, then sliding it over each rollerbearing of the tripod -although it needed some persuasion! It was the proper boot, not a universal one.

After going round the block in it I found the brakes were spongy, I checked there were no leaks or damage to the caliper. It turns out the pads were in the wrong way round - they must wear differently. In hindsight I don't think I needed to take the disc and caliper off.

Getting a bit sick of this DIY'ing though now...perhaps I should start going to a mechanic.

Stephen
1995 480 S 2.0 237,000 Miles

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi Suddy, i've done this many a time now. Glad you found out you could just fit the boot over the spider wheel things.

You don't need to remove the caliper, just the 2 strut to stub axle carrier bolts and the hub nut. There is enough play to persuade the stub axle out this way.

pol