Reverse light switch

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Robert17
Started learning about 480

Reverse light switch

Post by Robert17 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:17 pm

Hey all, my reverse lights aren't working, so I've got a new reverse light switch, though I've no idea where abouts on the gearbox it is yet, anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

Robert

Derek
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Derek » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:40 am

you have to jack up the car and remove the left-hand side wheel you should see the switch on the end of the gearbox it has two wires conected to it. Remember to put a container under the switch to catch the gear oil. Hope this helps.

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:25 am

This was the first problem I had with my 480 when I joined the club. See here the reply from catgroom on how to fix it:
catgroom wrote: It a piece of piss mate,dont bother draining the oil even though it is a good opportunity to change the oil (EP 80 oil is fine!!!).

Just unplug the 3 wires,first though id check that the wire nearest the front of the car,usually white,is crimped tight enough onto the pin on the switch.My k plate Turbo was loose as fuck,and my 95 Auto Turbo I have now!I bet its that,but if not unscrew the brass switch thing and change it!

If that doesn't do the trick,trace the wires back for breaks in the cable etc.

Steve. :D

2001 V70

Robert17
Started learning about 480

Post by Robert17 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:51 pm

Aha, but 3 wires? I got the sensor from Volvo, and it has 2 spade connectors on it.

I have a 480GT though.

Robert

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:30 pm

Robert.

I just fixed mine today.

I have a 480 turbo auto (same gearbox auto on ES) anyways... Not sure if this related to a manual box but.

The switch screws into the gearbox.

Inside the gearbox is the lever (autos) and when I move from park into reverse the lever moves.

This pushes the switch in or out (not sure) but anyways there's a fat washer/shim on the thread which no longer allows contact with the lever so I replaced the washer/shm using the one from spare g/box which was thinner and it's sorted the problem. I guess it's wear on the switch/lever.

hope this helps.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT