Problem with 5th gear.

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

prodjsxb
Started learning about 480

Problem with 5th gear.

Post by prodjsxb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Ok, i tried looking through but didn't find anything on this.

I have a 1989 480 Turbo. All of a sudden my transmission now wont stay in 5th gear. When you accelerate it slowly moves to neutral. If you let of throttle it pops into neutral right away. All other gears are fine.

Any ideas?

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:59 am

Can you hear a whining coming from the gearbox? Has the gearbox oil ever been changed?

2001 V70

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:26 am

It's the nut on the end of one of the gear shafts inside the gearbox / worn 5th synchro.

It can be accessed by removing the black cover on the end of the gearbox under the passenger wheelarch.

You will need to first drain the gearbox oil.

It may have already worn the synchro-ring as mine had. It can be replaced with another if you can break open another gearbox in a scrappy.

I have posted this a few times so there should be some similar info somewhere.

pol

prodjsxb

Post by prodjsxb » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:32 pm

No whining is present. I have no idea when the gear oil was changed.

pol, I will try to check what you are referring to. I have only had this car for a few weeks now.

I did some more testing today.Iit will stay in fifth so long as you hold the throttle, from a bit to full. As soon as you let off, it goes to N.

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:55 pm

Check engine and gearbox mountings. Had similar problem in Nissan Sunnu diesel.
no car, why drive a car if you can fly SAAB
Previous:
-Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi '93 LPG powered
-'92 480 ES red 'Sports Edition'
-'87 480 ES red
pics>>> http://photobucket.com/albums/v304/mayah480/

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Most already have been said, but check:
-Engine mounts
-Gearbox linkages bushes
-Worn gearbox
Volvo 480 ES, chassis 283, dec 1999-aug 2005
Nissan Micra 1.0 Nismo, feb 2006-
Rover Mini 1000, june 2009-
Peugeot 106 1.4 Roland Garros, oct 2011-

prodjsxb

Post by prodjsxb » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:15 pm

Update!

Ok haven't had time to get anything done yet, but I had to get the wife from work tonight and sure enough, there is a slight whining now and it doesn't stay in 5th at all!

Guess its the gearbox then? I can assume its going to get worst? :angry:

The "passenger side" you are referring to is the left? If it was a right hand drive car (England/Japan etc.). I have a Left hand drive (Sweden/N.America etc.) Either way, it supposed to be under the battery right?

Last question, do all the late 80 ones have the same gear box? Guy I got it from has a wrecked non turbo 1.7 version as well. Thinking we can get the gearbox from that and do a swap :wink:

Oh, wait there is a beefier clutch in the turbo version.
Last edited by prodjsxb on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:31 pm

I think there are 2 different types of gearbox

2001 V70

prodjsxb

Post by prodjsxb » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:24 pm

Looking at a parts catalog here.

If I am reading it right...

Non-Turbo is a M53-407E
Turbo is M54-373E

Am I reading this right? If so, has anyone modified the first one to fit a Turbo version in a pinch?

Seriously I only bought this car because we need one whilst we are here in Sweden, I have no idea that something with this much character albeit cheap would come and bite me in the ass in only a few weeks of ownership. But man it was fun chasing down turbo Audi's and have them wondering what this car has under the hood (Previous owner replaced the turbo with something bigger or better? and I noticed a manual boost controller as well). Maybe the increase in power is to blame for the transmissions demise. I should have researched what could go wrong before I bought it :angry:

I am more interested in if the 5th gear parts can be transplanted from a non-turbo gearbox to a turbo's gearbox.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:48 pm

Seriously, whip that cover off... I'm sure its that. You can take a synchro ring from another gearbox in the scrappy. All the synchro rings in the M59(later turbo box) are the same. I'm guessing they are the same on the es boxes.

I've still got my knackered one as a souvenir! Let me see...... It is a Renault part and it has '25' stamped on it which is the number of teeth it has. It's made of brass / bronze or something. You may not need one, but I bet the nut on the end of the shaft has come loose...

If you get your car jacked up, wheel off (left hand / nearside) gear oil drained and the cover off you'll see. The play comes as there is a selector fork over the synchro ring. With play along the shaft, the synchro ring and selector are forced to take up the play, forching the gear stick back and disengaging the gears... I found it was possible to pull the selector fork and synchro ring out of it's socket slightly, to remove the ring and some other sleeve, change the ring, then push the selector back in.

I'm sorry, I never took a decent pic of it at the time and it doesn't look like I posted much about it.

It's very easy to check and much easier than removing the gearbox.

pol

prodjsxb

Post by prodjsxb » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:58 pm

Thanks for the advice, I have to get some tools as all my tools are still in Canada and don't do me any use :lol:

Today the 5th gear didn't work at all :cryhard:, and there was the sound of something spinning around in there every so often. I hope its as easy as you say, because I have never worked on a gearbox before.

Thanks again, wish me luck :D

prodjsxb

Post by prodjsxb » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:47 pm

UPDATE!

Got my car fixed finally and got it back on Wednesday, gave it a good run and no problems so far.

pol was soooo right! When the mechanic pulled off the black cover he found the nut sitting on the bottom... LOL! came right off. Anyways the teeth had a few very small chips from the gear bouncing around freely. He filed em down abit and put it all back together. Used a thread locker and we put in new gear oil of course. I am glad to have it back in good running order.

Thanks for the helpful advice :)

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:32 pm

Yesssss! - I love it whaen a plan comes together...

Glad to hear it. Lets hope it holds out for many more miles!

pol