The reverse safety gate thingy

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Rikaitch
480 Newbie

The reverse safety gate thingy

Post by Rikaitch » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:33 pm

I'm not sure, but I suspect the linkage or cable for my reverse gate safety thingy has a problem, let me explain...

Just after Christmas I had a new clutch fitted, and now when I go to select reverse, I can't push the lever forward. I can get the lever over, but not forward into the reverse position.

Does this sound like a bad adjustment by the mechanic, or is the linkage worn/cable stretched? I leave the car a while, and it seems ok again, which says to me it might be heat, maybe from the engine or the exhaust.
Currently on Volvo 440 number 4, and after scrapping my first 480, I will get another one when space/money allows it.

pol
480 Is my middle name

Post by pol » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:31 am

It'll be badly adjusted by your mechanic. Takes a bit of playing around with to get it right.

Got a haynes manual? It has instructions for setting it up, but it's not gear linkage science!

Loosen the nut, move it, and do it up again and test!

I know how to find all the gears on the box without the linkage so you could set it in reverse then move the gear lever to the right position in the interlock or whatever its called. Little cutaway bit...

Or just take it back to the garage??

pol