Auto Trans-End plate rusted through!Beware!

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Auto Trans-End plate rusted through!Beware!

Post by catgroom » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:08 pm

Hello!

I though I would post this for the benefit of any Auto owners.I cant see anything having been posted on this topic so far.

I have had a small ATF leak.I had a good look around under my car today and wiped any mucky areas off with a rag and some degreaser.I could not find any obvious leaks so started her up.Still nowt.So,I popped the front left wheel off and noticed that the cover plate on the end of the gearbox was somewhat rusty.Oh dear!

Anyway,I thought "how rusty"!!!So,wire brush in hand (cough),I had a little scrape and the ATF came througha small pinhole in the plate!Alarm!

So,I rang Rich Mann to see if he had a number I needed of a breakers.No,but his Celeb once had this exact same problem.His solution was to clean it up,and fill the area with the Loctite Liquid Metal.Then,Hammerite over the top to protect.

This stuff was new to me so was a little sceptical but it had worked for Rich so was very reassured at the same time.

The result?It works,and hardens quickly!I left the car 2 hours as the instructions said.It was set in 5-10 mins and hasnt leaked a drop after a good long drive 2 hours later.

Thx Rich and thx liquid metal!
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:16 pm

Should be good if it's staying hard after two hours.

awww fook the secret is out! ;)
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:50 pm

martinholmesuk wrote:Should be good if it's staying hard after two hours.

awww fook the secret is out! ;)

so is that taken orally or....... ;)

top stuff groomy......sounds like it might seal other leaks too.....wonder how it would stand up against petrol?
(i *think* i have a small leak in my tank somewhere....if i fill the tank, i smell petrol, and occassionally have a little rainbow puddle under the car...if i half fill, no probs!)
rgrds
rob
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:25 pm

Not sure Rob,but it does say it works with plastic (latex etc)

I mean,until this morning I was unaware this sutff even existed.

Im not holding my breath until this stuff has proven itself mind.Im even a little conscious of the fact that I put it over a hole in my box!Meaning,Im paranoid that even though it was a pinhole some miniscule pathetic bit may roger up my box someday!

There ya go,smut and fact combined

:D
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:57 pm

robkendall wrote:.....wonder how it would stand up against petrol?
Worked fine on my Beetle's petrol tank...

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!

stu chacks
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by stu chacks » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:58 am

robkendall wrote:

(i *think* i have a small leak in my tank somewhere....if i fill the tank, i smell petrol, and occassionally have a little rainbow puddle under the car...if i half fill, no probs!)
rgrds
rob

Think VBB had exactly the same thing with his Celeb Rob - was a very wierd cause when they took the tank out.

Stu.

shimon340
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by shimon340 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:27 pm

stu your post paniced me!

thought you meant VBB had this with his auto ( black ) i've got that car now...

on the subject of leaks my auto box has a small puddle of ATF near the cooler unit. Need to investigate that but I hoping its minor and just the seal on the bottom of the cooler.

any pics of the repair, the suspect end plate etc?

I'm prob going to have a look at mine soon

robkendall
480 Is my middle name

Post by robkendall » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:34 pm

thanks steve, J and Stu!

what caused the leak on adams tank then stu?
s'good to know that this product will fix it, even temp ....i'm fed up of only being able to go journeys that take half a tank, or planning routes by petrol station!
and.....im sure its purely psychological but the half tank i put in doesnt seem to last long, and im only using the car on the odd occassion!
(sorry to hijack the thread steveo...hope ya dont mind!)

rgrds
Warning! This post may contain traces of humour, sarcasm or wit. In case of allergic reaction call 0800 123 456 for free and confidential abuse. [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/spank.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v192/saracen480/armynewx.jpg[/img]

Richmann1
Advanced 480 rookie

End cap

Post by Richmann1 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:58 pm

I used it on my collection steve and that was 6k ago its never leaked a drop again so its not just autos. The stuff i used was quick steel apparently you can repair cracks in heads blocks etc with it dont fancy trying that though, it should be strong enough you can drill it file it or anything when its dry and it resistenat to all solvents etc.

Rich :D
Volvo 480 Turbo Collection no 329/480.

Big Brother

Post by Big Brother » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:35 pm

We don’t actually know the cause of the leak but the tank had melted, see the thread here http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum/vi ... ght=melted

The plastic nut that connects the filler pipe to the tank had also melted onto the tank, an angel grinder was used to remove it. The breather pipes were all melted and had tiny holes in them. We don’t know what could have caused this as the only heat source I can think of is the exhaust but this is on the other side of the car. Until it was fixed I could only fill up half way. The tank wasn’t fixed it was replaced.

@ shimon340 – The leaky fuel tank was on my Celebration, think this was fixed before I got the ES. It never had an ATF leak when I owned it.

Ad

2001 V70

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:04 pm

OK well just to mention this...

The surface which you use Liquid Metal,Super Steel etc on must be scrupulously clean first.

The end casing on my Auto Box wasnt,it had been soaked in ATF on top of rust,so although it did work for about a monthus,the chemical had in no way turned to steel.In fact,I could pick it off with a screwdriver!

Luck me my box aint fucked really!

Anyway bought a new end plate from Volvo and gasket for £100:-(

shimon340
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by shimon340 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:30 pm

hello!

good news that the end plate is easily available from volvo.

just for future reference the volvo300 club V3M now has contacts with a prototype foundry company who are making new differential end plates for the 340 as volvo dont sell these anymore. It maybe that www.gcp.se ( partly owned by volvo and set up before Ford took over ) may take over the mantle of supplying these parts but its a useful contact nonetheless

Im going to have a look at my auto box tomorrow hopefully

all the best

Shimon