Rich Mod Queries...

Both manual and automatic transmission are discussed here, including the clutch!

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Rich Mod Queries...

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:03 am

Ok.

I got the Rich Mod yesterday, courtesy of Mr Groom (came from TFC), well pleased with it, BUT...

It completed a nearly 280 mile trip yesterday, with no hiccups at all-car didn't miss a beat, well pleased. However, about 20 miles from home, i had to stop at some lights. I had been on the motorway cruising at about 90 for about 30 minutes prior to this. When i went to pull away the car revved up to the red band practically in 1st 2nd and 3rd. I managed to pull away but could smell a wee bit of clutch burn after. I took it easy after that-tried the old clutch slip test and it was fine all the way home.

Now, i've read on a few posts that clutches can be similar to overheating brake pads, they will fade kinda thing if the clutch gets hot? The car was on the road constant from about 7.15, with an hours break mid-day, right the way to about 4.30, 90% of which was motorway driving. I checked my oil this morning to make sure it was ok as i did think about oil leaking onto the flywheel, but oil seems to be ok, and there's no sign of any drips on the splash guard or sump...

The clutch has slipped once more since then, and that was in 5th gear at about 4.5k. I don't want it to be the clutch, and would be surprised if it was because it was only changed (before i got it) at around 69k, and it's just covered 78k.

Could it be possible that the clutch was just a little overworked yesterday? It was a blindingly hot day too, as Groomus will confirm... I also read that it can be adjusted, and i know how to do that, but i don't want to have to keep taking it up to....a pretty high speed....to check it won't slip again.

Any opinions guys? :dunno:
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

robin_xr4i
480 Expert

Post by robin_xr4i » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:59 am

I had a similar problem mine has done 93k (did have 81k when i brought it) clutch started to slip but not all the time. It got worse and worse and finally got it changed. problem solved!

Fill the car with heaviest mates you can find the drive up a hill on boost if the clutch slips replace it :lol:

Have you checked the adjustment on the clutch cable, if its at the end of its thread then it probably needs a new clutch :cry:
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/robin_xr4i/newsign.jpg[/img]

My old Volvo 480 // Type: Turbo // Year: 1992 // Colour: 305 - Black Metallic // Engine: B18FT // Mods: Rich Mod, Recirculating Piston Dump Valve, Pi Lowering Springs, Induction Kit

Dan the 480 Man
480 Is my middle name

Post by Dan the 480 Man » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:05 pm

It's not at the end of the thread, which is why i was surprised. There's a good inch, poss a little more of thread showing...:?

I wondered perhaps wether my clutch cable may need replacing? Don't know how a knackered one would feel-my clutch is quite light and never a problem, although 9 times out of 10, it will give a slight 'crunch' when putting it into reverse. I presume that if my clutch cable was knackered it would already be adjusted right to the end of the thread?? :dunno:
[size=75]My website: ::: [url=http://www.dcmoore.co.uk][color=black][b]dcmoore.co.uk[/b][/color][/url] :::[/size]

catgroom
480 Is my middle name

Post by catgroom » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:39 pm

115 in a 70 in 4th,what do u expect u heathen!

and it had loads more to go!!!!! :hopping:
I'm No Longer Here :(

http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34359&start=20

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:40 pm

lol...new clutch imho...mines waiting for the same.
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

owen080808
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by owen080808 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:36 pm

sounds like a new clutch to me too. i tried various slippage tests on mine at first but the only thing i found that would make it slip was full boost in 4th/5th, but of course if its slipping at all its not likely to get any better by itself. worth adjusting the cable just to see since it's got thread left you dont have anything to loose!
Currently car-less

| '92 turbo + Rich mod | Sold

| '90 turbo + Seized engine | gone to the volvo dealer in the sky

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/owen080808/480%20turbo/avatar.jpg[/img]