indicators - relay clicking but no lights

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dabac
Started learning about 480

indicators - relay clicking but no lights

Post by dabac » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:12 am

Hi guys,
It's been a while since I visited here, but now I could do with some help.

I can hear the relay going but actual lamp action is best described as random, I get a few blanks (click w/o blink), then I get a couple of clicks with full function, then blanks again. Earlier this could be "fixed" by pushing the button for the emergency lights which would get the indicators working normally for a while, but now this doesn't help anymore.

So, where do I start digging?

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:53 am

no car, why drive a car if you can fly SAAB
Previous:
-Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi '93 LPG powered
-'92 480 ES red 'Sports Edition'
-'87 480 ES red
pics>>> http://photobucket.com/albums/v304/mayah480/

dabac

Post by dabac » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:42 pm

So I ripped out the seat, got the flashlight going and poked my head in underneath the dash. Removed some panels and had a look at the notorious CEM. Now, this is a car for the Swedish market, so the CEM is only marginally visible behind the wiring loom for steering column and such. :angry: And I don't understand how I'm going to be able to get the stupid thing out of there! :shock: There ony one mounting screw that I can reach without some serious disassembly, I fear to think about those probably lurking on top.
Any suggestions?

Next issue: is this really where I should be looking for the cure to my problems? I can hear the relay going, and according to Haynes the relay comes first, then the indicator switch is mounted "downstream" from the relay. Doesn't that mean that the reason my indicators aren't working is lurking somewhere between the switch and the actual lamps?

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:21 pm

Well I had similar problem and it was relay.
My car also got steering wheel on left side.
Two srcews are accessable from bottom of dashboard while to reach another you've got to remove push down relays bracket under the hood and try to reach 3rd screw. I made it when it was -15 outside so good luck!
And remember Haynes the book of lies!
Have a happy Easter!
no car, why drive a car if you can fly SAAB
Previous:
-Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi '93 LPG powered
-'92 480 ES red 'Sports Edition'
-'87 480 ES red
pics>>> http://photobucket.com/albums/v304/mayah480/

dabac

Post by dabac » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:54 am

Milosz_480 wrote:...you've got to remove push down relays bracket under the hood and try to reach 3rd screw.
But of course! I've removed that one before to sort out another electrical issue, but hadn't thought about using it for reaching down like that. Must still be quite a challenge to remove/install the connectors though.

Anyhow, this weekend I tried running an experimental lead from +12V to the center feed of the stalk, which then was able to light up the indicators. So the problem was in the relay after all.
I bought a generic indicator relay, installed it and bypassed the old one instead. Maybe not as neat, but far easier than messing around underneath the dash.
Actually quite simple, I hooked it up to +12V, ground, the center feed to the stalk, the line from the hazard light switch and I was done.
Have a happy Easter!
Thanks!