Pop-ups

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

levin
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Pop-ups

Post by levin » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:12 pm

Hi y'all

Well, as I said in a post before, i am currently trying to buy a Volvo 480 and just arrived from the meet with the guy that is selling it.

Car looks fine, leather needs some treatment but the paintwork looks awesome and there are no signs of rust.

On monday i'll be checking under the car for oil leaks, silent blocks, more 'rust' and etc.

One thing that bothered me was that when I turned the pop-ups, the one on the right came straight up, and the one in the left came up, down, and up again (like a wink lol).

Is this an 'easy' problem to solve? or is it way more complicated?

I've already read some topics, but from what i've understood, either it's the pop-ups relay, or the CEM?

Any help is highly appreciated since I need to know if I buy it or not :|

Cheers

Murf
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by Murf » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:40 pm

I seem to remember that being a problem with the motor for the pop up, theres little switches inside the motor that tell it when its fully up or down and if these get dirty/faulty then the pop ups do exactly what you described.
a new motor should sort it, £20 second hand or £125+vat new and about an hour to fit it :)
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

levin

Post by levin » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:32 pm

Murf wrote:I seem to remember that being a problem with the motor for the pop up, theres little switches inside the motor that tell it when its fully up or down and if these get dirty/faulty then the pop ups do exactly what you described.
a new motor should sort it, £20 second hand or £125+vat new and about an hour to fit it :)
Hi Murf,

Thanks for the info.

Isn't it possible only to clean those switches? Do you have any picture of them? If it's just a switch, it should be 'easy' to fix, I recon, but since I don't have a clue how they are, i'm kinda curious to see one of them.

Thanks for help once again.

Cheers

Murf

Post by Murf » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:13 pm

the switches are sealed inside the motor body, you have to pick off all the grey stuff that the motor is covered in. it can be done but ive never done it myself so i dont know what it involves!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

levin

Post by levin » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:05 am

Murf wrote:the switches are sealed inside the motor body, you have to pick off all the grey stuff that the motor is covered in. it can be done but ive never done it myself so i dont know what it involves!
Ok.

Tks anyway :)

Cheers

mogge
Started learning about 480

Post by mogge » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:28 am

Hi!

Take a look. http://www.volvo480.kicks-ass.net/servl ... cle&id=355

Sorry in swedish!

/Jonas
Engineer

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:40 am

I removed the crap off the motors and one slip of the knife and you chop the wires off!! Bitch of job to do.

Might be better to remove the crap using some chemicals??

Good luck!
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

levin

Post by levin » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:53 am

Jeez...those ones look... :rofl:

Might be better of buying a pair off ebay or something lol.

Anyway, thanks for the reply martin :)
[img]http://jdmtech.net/levin/imagens/assinatura.jpg[/img]

[size=75]
My Volvo 480
[b]Name[/b]: Volverine // [b]Type[/b]: TURBO // [b]Year[/b]: 1989 // [b]Colour[/b]: Black Metallic // [b]Engine[/b]: B18FT (1.7), Manual // [b]Mods[/b]: Pollux Black Metallic; Voodoo III MBC[/size]