silence at the VEM

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

johan
480 Newbie

silence at the VEM

Post by johan » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:25 pm

Today after a long time of anoying wet windows i decided to repair the VEM, i removed the vem and have taken a close look at it also inside, al the solder jonts where in good condition, so i placed it back on it's place, closed my eyes started the engine and waited for the the blower to start working, but nothing.........
But what i do hear when i push some of the buttons is the sound of a relais like clikking on the left of my dashboard somewhere near the fusebox it seems, and i hear a tiny verry tiny whistle at the rear of the vem, now i am wondering, could it be a broken relais????
Please help me... :(

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by gerrsvolvo » Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:37 am

Hi Johan

To help you.
The VEM´s main function is to regulate the airstream and the airco if you have one.
The blower function is also partly regulated by the VEM. It is that level 1 and 2 or 3 if present are routed via the VEM and full is routed in bypassing the VEM.
My advice is or get a good working VEM or reroute the power to the blowerswitch and using a blowerswitch with a proepr working 0 position.

Good CEM
Gerrsvolvo

Aram
480 Newbie

Re:

Post by Aram » Wed May 06, 2020 2:29 pm

gerrsvolvo wrote:
Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:37 am
Hi Johan

To help you.
The VEM´s main function is to regulate the airstream and the airco if you have one.
The blower function is also partly regulated by the VEM. It is that level 1 and 2 or 3 if present are routed via the VEM and full is routed in bypassing the VEM.
My advice is or get a good working VEM or reroute the power to the blowerswitch and using a blowerswitch with a proepr working 0 position.

Good CEM
Gerrsvolvo
So you mean if my blower only works on full (pos. 4) it has been bypassed? I soldered a contact on the VEM because it didn't work at all, when I put it all back together, the blower only started working when switched to 4, nothing on 1/2/3. The switch worked fine before the VEM failure. And I see 2 connectors going to the fan switch, the main one with several pins and another with 2 pins, which I'm guessing is the light bulb for the switch (mine broke), so I don't think it's bypassed... Hoping it's the resistor, purchased one this morning. It does blow hot air no problem, albeit with a rattling noise from the blower (only on slider full right) that would drive anyone nuts.