Pop-ups, no dipped/half beam

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dabac
Started learning about 480

Pop-ups, no dipped/half beam

Post by dabac » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:05 am

Hi guys.

Yesterday when I turned on the lights the dipped/half beams wouldn't come on on either side. The full beams were OK, and I didn't get a "broken lamp" indication on the dash. Next time I drove the car they were OK. Today they were out again.
Any hints on where to start tracking down this on/off problem? Relay, cables, light selector?

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by gerrsvolvo » Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:15 pm

This is all normal! :rofl:
You have most likely a defective relais on the A position in the relaisbox.
Or a faulty switch or fuse :cryhard:
Good Cem
gerrsvolvo

C6REW
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by C6REW » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:51 pm

Hi Dabac,

As well as what Gerrsvolvo mentions it could be as simple as the light switch. Pull it out of the socket and then re insert it may just be a faulty connection.

Regards

Chris

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:25 pm

When my, flash function of the indicator stalk broke, I tried replacing it with one from a scrap 480. The flash worked, but I had no low beam, because that stalk was also faulty. :(
Maybe your stalk is starting to pack up?
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

dabac

popups getting worse....

Post by dabac » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:45 am

:(
Got a brand new "A" relay, but that didn't help. Decided to install the fog lights I had lying around as not to get stranded in the dark completely. As I drove home from my borrowed garage the popups quit completely and wouldn't even rise...

I asked very nicely at a couple of authorized garages and got hold of some chapters out of the Volvo fault-finding manuals, it is almost as bad as the Haynes in some places :badmood:

Anyhow, according to instructions I removed the "F" relay, and powered up the popup motors from the relay socket. They moved just fine, but kept going up/down until I removed my little shunt cable. Are they supposed to do that? Then I ran the relay directly from the battery while monitoring its switches with an ohmmeter, and it seems to be doing OK.

I also checked the hood switch, it's OK.

Then I removed the light selector switch (there's no way that one pulls straight out on MY car without anything shattering!) and checked it over with an ohmmeter. According to (my understanding of) the schematics the switch is OK. Shunted the switch anyway with some cabling to "main lights on" just in case and popups still wouldn't rise.

As I see it there's 4 probable reasons left for this malfunction:
1) the cabling between popup motor relay and the light selector.
2) the cabling between popup/lamp assembly and the relay box.
3) Something weird I haven't found in the light selector/socket assembly
4) The workshop manual hints that some CEMs are in this loop, but it doesn't really fit the symptoms of my car....

Would a faulty stalk also prevent the popups from rising?

Any further tips?

big al
480 Newbie

Post by big al » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:01 pm

Because of the action of the headlights the wiring just behind the headlight take a lot of punishment - being bent back and forward each time the headlight is lifted up. Check very carefully the wiring for dipped beam behind the headlight assembly you may find - as I did that the wiring is broken even though the casing covering it is still intact. good luck

dabac

Pop-ups appear to be sorted....

Post by dabac » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:03 pm

Well, it seems like I managed to get two completely separate failures simultaneously. Pop-ups didn't open because a bad lead between pin 56 at the light selector and pin 56 on the A relay. Once I ran a jumper lead between those pins the pop-ups popped just fine. Fault-finding the no dipped beam was difficult. According to the manual it seemed to be some sort of grounding fault there as well, but I couldn't locate the ground point. Anyhow, as I gave up for the day and reattached the light stalk the problem (so far) has disappeared, so maybe it was a dodgy connection at the light stalk.
I hope so, cause I really think that the car owes me some quiet running time by now!

4nimal
480 Newbie

Post by 4nimal » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:30 am

Hi people!
I had the same problem -as the topic title says- until a half an hour before. I found that, the lighting selector switch was the saboteur!
I haven't fixed it yet, but found the weak point. I'll keep posting my story.
'88 Turbo