Ground point

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterT
Knows where Volvo is from

Ground point

Post by MisterT » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:44 pm

Maybe a weird question, probably a noob question (which I am at fixing cars).

I have a ground problem and I am wondering if there is a general ground point in the car? I have problems with the electronics of my dashboard and I am curious whether the ground cables of the dashboard are connected to a general ground point, so that I can look if the ground is still good (which isn't I think) and clean/reconnect it.

Thnx in advance for the help!

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:40 am

there are more than one. the one you need is near the CEM.
The best I can do for you is this. go here : http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk and download the official volvo electrical schedule for 480 ies. it also mentions the position of the grounding points

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

MisterT

Post by MisterT » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:01 pm

Hey,

I did clean three ground points of the five mentioned in the documentation, but none of the ones mentioned is near the CEM.

I cleaned the one in front which only is accessible from under the car (if you stad for the car, on the righthand side), the one at the back and the one on the lefthand side.

Because my problems aren't solved, I think I need the one closest to the CEM. But where is it?

Another question. In one of your previous replies in another one of my topics, you mention I have to connect another ground cable to the dashboard electronics. I asked the dealer if they could do it and that's ok, but I should say where it should be connected to the chassis and the dashboard electronics. Any idea?

Thnx in advance for any help and now I'll continuing my course in writing short topics...

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by gerrsvolvo » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:20 am

MisterT
You need to do all the ground points.
From your describtion I am not clear what points you have done.
I know off only one point wich is only accesable from under the car the ceble to the gearbox.
Without the diagram at hand I know off the folowing groundpoints.
- near the battery
- right innerfrontwing near the headlampsmotor
- from the alternator (very important)
- valvecover left side
- groundcable to distributorcap going under the ignition module on cars
equiped wich the Renix ignition
- the ground cable to the gearbox
- the groundpoint near the left rearlight
- the groundpoint above the CEM behind the dashboard (practically nearly
unreachable becaus it is hidden behid cables and the dashboard)
It is said that sometimes making an extra grounding from the instumentboard helps.
But one other point is to bear in mind the question if some earlier owner or garage has been foolish enough to mess up with the radioconnections.
I allways say that ina 480 this is a sinn. :kill:
Strangely enough the radio connections are connected to the computer and infocenter. So if you are messing around with these you are also messing around with the computer. :cryhard:

Gerrsvolvo

MisterT

Post by MisterT » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:27 pm

I got a link to an official electrical schemes document and it has a chapter about the ground points and it mentiones five, of which I cleaned three. There are more as you say.

I'll check the ground point near the CEM because that's the one most likely messing with my electronics. I'll ask the dealer to clean the other's because the car to be checked anyway.

Thnx for the info! Now I have plans for saturday :-)

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:47 pm

I made an extra ground oint at the center tunnel, near the shiftlever, and one on the steering column. Use common sense about where to dril and screw a parker. strip the paint on the contact.

gerrs volvo is right. the whole infocenter gets his ground via the radio.

luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen