Re-Soldering the insides of the dash to fix speedo. (PICCYS)

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Re-Soldering the insides of the dash to fix speedo. (PICCYS)

Post by Matthew Brennan » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:25 pm

Hello all

There are a lot of speedo threads and i think i've read them all now. I have had intermittant speedo which gradually got worse and more difficult to make it work. Up untill now i've been wiggling wires and removing the dash. Last week I totally cleaned the circuit boards with contact cleaner which has permently fixed the Chinese infocentre :D and fixed the speedo for a day :( . http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk/for ... php?t=6143

Today I re-soldered parts of the inside of my dash in an attempt to get my speedo working again. It is still as dead as a do-do.

Can anyone tell me if i have de and re-soldered enough?
This is what i've done
On the speedo these circled contacts hold in a black drum shaped thing with two legs (capacitor?) The legs and solder contacts were just crappy white electrical deposit. They were cleaned and resolderd.

And i re-soldered theese..

Please, please tell me i dont have to do all of theese....
:cry: Image

What would happen if I took it to a real Volvo dealers garage could they fix it using magic diagnostics (Vadis?) and does anyone have an idea of price?

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by gerrsvolvo » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:50 pm

If you are lucky they will be abele to find out what part is defective and change the part.
All this at volvoprices.

Gerrsvolvo

JohnTurbo
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by JohnTurbo » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:52 pm

You have the same plates as me, and i quite often eat that filled fresh pasta stuff....was that taken in my house>?? ;)
Past:
94 Turbo - Red
94 Turbo - Black (Converted from NA 2.0)
92 Turbo - Red
90 Turbo - Silver
Now:
00 Exige
15 GKD Legend
16 Skoda Superb

mogge
Started learning about 480

Post by mogge » Sun May 01, 2005 4:12 am

Hi

Have you ensured that you have good contact between the board and the cable contact?

I sprayed my contacty with contact spray, then i lost my signal. The speedo signal is a wery weak signal and all (most) oils and greases is non electric.

So i took my girlfriends nailsander (like sandpaper) and rugged the two pins for the speedo and then it hase been ok since then. Also check the conector under the hood, you could have the same problem there. Take a look in the schemes, the two pins are mounted besides eachother (plus and minus and you find the numbering in the contact)

/Jonas
Engineer

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Sun May 01, 2005 9:04 am

John Turbo
You have the same plates as me, and i quite often eat that filled fresh pasta stuff....was that taken in my house>??
Great 480-owning minds think alike mate!

mogge
Hi
Have you ensured that you have good contact between the board and the cable contact?

I sprayed my contacty with contact spray, then i lost my signal. The speedo signal is a wery weak signal and all (most) oils and greases is non electric.

So i took my girlfriends nailsander (like sandpaper) and rugged the two pins for the speedo and then it hase been ok since then. Also check the conector under the hood, you could have the same problem there. Take a look in the schemes, the two pins are mounted besides eachother (plus and minus and you find the numbering in the contact)

/Jonas

I have sandpaperred every connecting pin inside the dash and sprayed with contact cleaner. The only ones i havnt done is the inside of the two plugs Male plugs (grey+green) comming from the car. The metal insertes in these move up and down about 2mm and i have tried glueing them down and pushing them down with folded over bits of car (very high-tech)
neither seemed to make a difference.

Should there be any movement at all in theese?

I have looked and looked for the speedo sensor under the bottner but (dont laugh) i'm not even sure where the transmission and starter motor are.

I'm currently thinking about replacing the entire dash with two LCD panels from scrap laptops (hopefully in keeping with the current one so apart from it being entirely digital it will look the same. It would mean u could watch DVD's + browse the net from the dash. Dont make me do it 480!!

Cheers for the help guys!

Matt

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Wed May 04, 2005 7:11 am

Been on holllidays to Lynton+Lynmouth where there are some good hills.

The speedo has mostly been working since it got hot enough for the fan to kick in. Now when the w/wipers are on intermittant on the downward stroke the speedo custs out and sits at rest for half a second. THen it bounces back into life untill the next dwonward stroke of wipers?!?!

I'm off to take my CEM out now and check the contacts. Maybee it sounds like an earthing problem?

MAtt

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed May 04, 2005 7:31 am

is your speedo sensor on the drive shaft?

I have no speedo and the sensor looks like it's moving around.

btw your get rpm but no speedo.

good job i have a gps :D
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Wed May 04, 2005 7:36 am

martinholmesuk:

good job i have a gps
Hi Martin,

I've been told its near the starter motor on the gearbox but i dont have a proper jack or ramps or anything. I have had a look for it but never found it. I DO have a perfect woking RPM and the whole of the rest of the dash is also perfect.

Maybee i will buy a new speedo sensor and get my garage man to fit it a and check for loose connectiosn as well.

GPS, now thats an interesting idea.....

Matt

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed May 04, 2005 7:44 am

Matthew Brennan wrote:martinholmesuk:

good job i have a gps
Hi Martin,

I've been told its near the starter motor on the gearbox but i dont have a proper jack or ramps or anything. I have had a look for it but never found it. I DO have a perfect woking RPM and the whole of the rest of the dash is also perfect.

Maybee i will buy a new speedo sensor and get my garage man to fit it a and check for loose connectiosn as well.

GPS, now thats an interesting idea.....

Matt
It's a bitch to access. I had the 480 on high rise ramps at mat's work place and it was still hard to access. My sensor spins around BUT.
Had it on the ramps today and the connection seems to move round.

My question is....

should it spin in the socket on the drive shaft or should it have some pins it should sit in?

gerrsvolvo
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "sensor" signal pickup foor the speedometer fits freely
ans does not have any pins that should fit in counterparts.
It is hold in place by a metalclamp fitted with a allenbolt (binnenzeskant) 6mm.

Gerrsvolvo

I'm confused now!
Audi TT

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Wed May 04, 2005 8:37 am

Hi Martin

I am still covered in oil. I have just been out and jacked it up with my volvo tyre changing jack. i took the crappy plastic bump guard off and could not find the sensor anywhere! :x

If you say you have had it on ramps and it is still hard to find then maybee i am attempting mission impossible. I think the only way to rule this end out of the problem is to fit a new sensor. Oh if only i had unlimited money!

Will update as soon as i make any progress. Bloody Volvo's Bloody Daft Eletrical problems.

Cheers Mate!

Matt

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Wed May 04, 2005 9:07 am

Matthew Brennan wrote:If you say you have had it on ramps and it is still hard to find then maybee i am attempting mission impossible. I think the only way to rule this end out of the problem is to fit a new sensor. Oh if only i had unlimited money!

Cheers Mate!

Matt
I found the sensor. First remove starter. then you must crawl under the car and remove a pice of meatl that protectssome rubers from heat of exhaust pipe. And then a pair of tiny hands and you're done. I had to sat on the engine to reach screw that holds the sensor.
Yes it's speedo sensor :)
no car, why drive a car if you can fly SAAB
Previous:
-Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi '93 LPG powered
-'92 480 ES red 'Sports Edition'
-'87 480 ES red
pics>>> http://photobucket.com/albums/v304/mayah480/

Matthew Brennan
480 Rookie

Post by Matthew Brennan » Wed May 04, 2005 11:36 am

Milosz_480 said:
I found the sensor. First remove starter. then you must crawl under the car and remove a pice of meatl that protectssome rubers from heat of exhaust pipe. And then a pair of tiny hands and you're done. I had to sat on the engine to reach screw that holds the sensor.
Thanks, I think i'm gonna do it. I cant afford to have it done really so i'll have to do it myself.

Friday is gonna be the day. Now i just have to work out which bit is the starter motor :oops: On my 340DL it was a long pointy thing sticking blatantly out of the engine held in by two bolts. Easy!

I dont think my 3 series techincal know - how is enough for this Frankenstien440/1800ES monster car i now own.
Why does everything have to be sooo difficult on it? I am sure i will get there in the end.

Cheers for the advice mate

martinholmesuk

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed May 04, 2005 1:27 pm

THAT IS THE SPEEDO SENSOR :lol:
Audi TT