Speedo again!!! are they the same

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

big al
480 Newbie

Speedo again!!! are they the same

Post by big al » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:51 pm

My 93 2l speedo died - checked out all usual things all solder joints etc (with magnifying lens) all perfect and shiny. Still speedo doesn't work. SO took speedo out of my spare dashboard assembly (don't we all have one?) and placed this into my 2l assembly still the same output NOTHING. :badmood:
AS both the 2l and the spare speedo assembly (the whole thing rev and display) have the same coloured sockets -grey and green. Are the whole things interchangeable ? I ask because my spare unit (from a 89 1.7 ) is similar in all respects save for a small white cover on the main circuit board positioned between the two dashboard lights on the left of the circuit board when looking at the back of the speedo assembly. This is not on my 2l speedo assembly. Anyone know what it is and will my car die if I try and put the whole 89 1.7 speedo assembly into my 93 2l car.

rpruen
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by rpruen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:05 pm

If the speedo does nothing, then it could be that the sensor has packed up. The sensor is on the gearbox, just over the driveshaft. Good luck trying to get to it though! I think someone here has had this problem and fixed it by giving the sensor a wack with a screwdriver.

It's worth checking the wiring plug before taking drastic steps though.

Richard
Car Status: Squashed :(
Now have 765 GLE 2.8 V6

big al
480 Newbie

Post by big al » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:24 am

Thanks Rpruen thats what I thought as with both speedo heads the same thing is happening no needle movement then for a very short while some movement - but not showing correct speed or mileage - but most of the time dead. I ordered a sensor from volvo - back order part they tell me no one has one in stock.
STILL intrigued about the possibilty of replacing whole speedo unit with my spare 87 one -just worried about that little white box on the 97 unit If it is possible then I would know for certain that its the sensor ((Or of course my 97 unit is dead also))

mogge
Started learning about 480

Post by mogge » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:35 pm

Hi!

Just a little check!

Iv´e spayed my contacts with contact spray, most of oils and grease are non electric. Then my speedo went out. I had to demount the cluster again and grinded the to pins for the speedo.

And a nother problem is the contact in the engine compartment, take it apart and remount.

And, if you mount your other clutster, the contacts must have the same colorcode. The conectorpins may have other configuration.

/Jonas
Engineer

big al
480 Newbie

Post by big al » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:15 pm

Last night I cleaned the whole assembly again - checked for cracks etc none. Put it back in the car all working YIPEE. :lol:
This morning checked again all working - replaced rest of fascia panel set of to work still working!!!!.
THEN going over a "speed bump" it went dead again .
:? Oh the joy of 480's. :?
Will probably spend tomorrow checking the whole unit again I must be missing something with my magnifying glass

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:27 pm

I would just go ahead and resolder the lot, rather than mess about only resoldering ones you can see to be cracked.
If you resolder the whole lot you know its done then.

That you put it all together and it worked for a little while shows you must have disturbed something, so it seems that that is where the problem lies.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Murf

Post by Murf » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:49 pm

it'll be the speedo sensor on the gearbox, mine used to do this all the time.i was all ready to strip it down but couldnt get near it so i tapped it with a screwdriver and it has worked ever since, nearly 2 years!!!
Kia Pro'ceed GT 1.6 Turbo
1992 480 Turbo
2007 Focus ST

volviz

Post by volviz » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:27 pm

That sensor is dead on my car too :(
Image&ImageImage

parvez
480 Newbie

Post by parvez » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:12 pm

[quote="volviz"]That sensor is dead on my car too :([/quote]

Yep, I have a similar problem with the speedo. Sometimes it goes and sometimes it doesn't which leads me to believe that it's just the connectors on the back of the instrument cluster in my case????
It can be steady for a good while working pretty correctly and then at other times it swings wildly around from 40kmh to whatever actual speed I might be going.