Sudden electrical power loss while engine was running !

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Sudden electrical power loss while engine was running !

Post by MatBat » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:43 pm

Very strange,
I finished my Fencing practice (swordfighting)
Started my volvo to let her warm up (it was freezing) and after she had been idling for about 5mins the engine just slowed down and stopped and all the interior lights were dim. I tried to restart her but there was just not enough power to turn the starter motor (though it was trying) I push started the car and it was fine after that. After 2mins driving she started as ussual.

Any ideas?
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

dragon
Volvo 480 Club Europe CREW

Post by dragon » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:57 pm

My immediate ideas:

1) Bad earth somewhere affecting charging
2) Bad altenator voltage regulator
3) Bad altenator brushes
4) Bad connection in altenator/battery
5) Bad battery

You seem to descrbe the car starting and running entirely on battery charge which naturally ran down to a stage the running of the car was interrupted so it seems like you have no charge being generated at that time. As you say all was well after a push start, it may be a bad connection - so check and double check all wires, copper grease the battery terminals and check as many earths as possible. Beware the altenator cables are brittle inside and can crack, causing an intermittant problem like this, even though they look fine from the outside - mighyt be worth going along all your cables flexing them slightly to try to detect a fracture...

Other than that do the usual checks for bad altenator/battery, as a one off problem may hint at overall deteriating health in the charging system. Start her, then get a volt meter and check the charge in volts at the battery terminals as she starts and runs then check the flow (ampage) from the altenator and compare with the values in the Hatnes manual - if you have charge at or above the normal values as it runs on the altenator, then it is likely the battery at fault (higher than normal value indicated altenator is running extra hard trying to charge the cells) - Check the battery liquid levels and top up with deionised water if necessary - might be worth getting a battery charger and trickle charging the battery out of the car for 12-15 hours, you can tell if the battery is knacked by the ampage the charger runs at as it charges (or tries to) - It could be that a fault in the battery has caused a fault in the altenator (or vice versa) and you need to replace both (if both are old, it'd be worth your time and money replacing both at the same time anyway)
Cheers! [img]http://www.dragons.org.uk/images/guin.gif[/img]

Gaz Wilson

1997 V70R AWD in Saffron, RICA 580, hot hot HOT!
1995 480 Turbo, Flame Red Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1993 480 turbo, Vase Green Metallic/Jacquard-Leather
1995 Range Rover 4.6 HSE V8 - Full leather and more!
http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk <--- Full spec!

Got horses? - [url=http://www.horse-teeth.co.uk][img]http://www.northernscum.org.uk/avatars/ggedt_anim.gif[/img][/url]

C6REW
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by C6REW » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:04 pm

I second Gaz's thoughts exactly.

Regards

Chris

MatBat
480 Is my middle name

Post by MatBat » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:09 pm

The alternator looks rather new, but I will check all connections, battery etc. tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.
1996 Mini Classic 1275.

strangegame
480 Expert

Post by strangegame » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:33 pm

been there it was the alternator replaced the brushes fine for a wile then had to replace the alternator coil after that will be new alternator