Alarm

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Alarm

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:44 am

When I parked the 480 ES I always cut the powersupply off by a safety switch, but when I last installed a other CEM the problems began. If I want to drive this car(who doesn't, here?) I unlock the drivers door, have a seat, put the power back on, want to put the ignition on, but the alarm has been awakened, which is a bad thing because the sound is not very nice. Now I have disconnected the connectors in the doors and no problem when entering the car. My question is: Are the doorswitches operating correctly?

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:40 pm

do you have a ground switch on the battery, like on building machines ?(to prevent battery drain, fire etc)
If you open doors and than switch on the ground connection to the battery, of course the alarm goes off.

Please explain what switch you made here.

Luck
JPF

Ps Did you have the right CEM ? they are not compatible. check serial numbers and connectors.

There might also be a bad connection on the new CEM 's connectors.

I had a problem too after swapping cems, but i did not mount the Big A connector right....
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:18 pm

It is a ground switch, because the car has a serious battery drain. The CEM had the same numbers so that shouldn't be the problem. I have now disconnected the connectors in the doors and the problem seem to be gone.
The most odd thing here is that when I installed the CEM and parked the car and later had a drive in it the alarm didn't go off.
Also very strange was when I disconnected the connectors in the doors. The next time I wanted to drive the horn/ alarm sounded but not for very long more like that you shortly touched the horn which I wasn't clearly not doing. I pulled the hornfuse out drove it. Back home I parked it pull the groundswitch off and the next day I put the fuse back in drove it for half an hour and no horn heard.
BTW the groundswitch is from Hella so the electrics should like him :wink:
Hope Im clear enoff

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:48 am

quote:
Also very strange was when I disconnected the connectors in the doors. The next time I wanted to drive the horn/ alarm sounded but not for very long more like that you shortly touched the horn which I wasn't clearly not doing. I pulled the hornfuse out drove it. Back home I parked it pull the groundswitch off and the next day I put the fuse back in drove it for half an hour and no horn heard.
end quote.

but the next time I took the car for a spin the horn made noise. So Im completly lost

volvofox
480 Is my middle name

Post by volvofox » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:00 pm

No youre not lost at all.

just start looking and testing.
I had a drain too, and it was cause by dirt between the contacts of the door microswitch. Its a lot of work, but your problem will be fixed only if you check up the doorlockswitch system (also hatch and hood) The drain should be 0,003 Amp (hook a multimeter in the right setting between the mass pole and the mass clamp, with everything off. in the car.....
Keep us informed

Luck
JPF
luck,
JPF

Nomen est Omen

Ettore Bugatti
480 Is my middle name

Post by Ettore Bugatti » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:45 am

Had spend some time on the Volvo. It got a new alternator and battery. I put the fuse back to test the alarm. The fuse melted and no horn sounded. Checked the horns both were broken. Put a lamp between the fuse test the alarm. findings are:
You can put the power off and lock the door and then unlock it, put the power back on without the alarm going off
If you activate the alarm after 30 s it stops or it stops when you lock and unlock the door.
Had a look on the horn switch. The plastics was in very bad condition probably that cause the sound. Alarm problem solved I guess

Peter Zsoldos
480 Newbie

Post by Peter Zsoldos » Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:06 am

HI Everyone,

Unfortunatelly i have the same problem with my 89' turbo, but i couldn't solve the problem yet, i'm just disconnected the horn's connectors. The alarm system doesn't work, and actually the situation is the same with the horns.

I will try to learn from the previus messages. I will try to keep you informed.

Peter :shock:
ok, but why it doesn't work properly......