CEM Speaker replacement?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Can tell where the 480 was built

CEM Speaker replacement?

Post by WillC9303 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:17 am

Hi all

I think I made a topic on this quite a while back but I'm pretty sure the speaker in my CEM is broken. All I hear when I put my indicators on is a faint mechanical click which obviously isn't coming from the CEM. Not only that but the 'beep' that should sound when you hold down the heated rear window doesn't happen.

I know that the indicator chime varies between model year, but I'm 99% sure that L reg (1993) cars were all fitted with the synthetic indicator 'tick' sound from factory.

Is a CEM speaker replacement something difficult to do? I obviously don't want to destroy the 'brain' of my car, so will only attempt if its an easy fix.

Really I just want to put a stop my passengers assuming I'm not indicating when I am :lol:

Thanks!
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: CEM Speaker replacement?

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:35 am

Snazzy is also an L reg, and her indicators went really quiet recently as well. I hadn't got round to trying to find out why yet, so I'll be watching this thread.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

mandi
480 Newbie

Post by mandi » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:22 pm

hi

i repaired in the meantime some CEMs.
no CEM 3 but CEM 1 and 2.
not knowing which piezo is mounted in CEM3 i want to mention that in min 2 cases the soldering was failing.
i think it's a mechanical problm - cannot be of current and heat.

resoldering solved the problem. the piezo part itself is in general quiete insensitive and robust.

mandi

WRDendy

Post by WRDendy » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:42 pm

I agree with Mandi - not much to go wrong with the piezo itself, but yet another point on the 480 electronics where dry joints can be an issue.

I happen to have a CEM 1 on my bench, I imagine that an L-reg will be a CEM 3, but similar enough layout:

The piezo sounder is the black circular thing with the hole in it on the left, found behind the 'speaker grille' on the CEM housing. It's a self-drive type with 3 connections, highlighted on red below on the opposite side of the board:

You can see that this one does in fact have evidence of dry joint syndrome setting in, particularly on the left-most joint. Re-flowing all three would probably sort out any issues this one has. If the piezo sounder were to be actually dead (unlikely but possible), then it would be very straightforward to desolder it and replace it, either with one salvaged from another CEM or a new one off the shelf. Don't have a part number to offer you right now I'm afraid but could probably be found relatively easily.

Bottom line - try reflowing the joint first. See the instrument cluster repair thread for more info on that if you're not up to speed on it already!

Bonus thought: If you're reflowing and/or desoldering it then nothing stopping you mounting it somewhere else in the car, maybe run a few long wires and put it in the passenger headrest just to keep them really reassured :lol:
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:25 pm

WRDendy wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:42 pm
I agree with Mandi - not much to go wrong with the piezo itself, but yet another point on the 480 electronics where dry joints can be an issue.

I happen to have a CEM 1 on my bench, I imagine that an L-reg will be a CEM 3, but similar enough layout:

The piezo sounder is the black circular thing with the hole in it on the left, found behind the 'speaker grille' on the CEM housing. It's a self-drive type with 3 connections, highlighted on red below on the opposite side of the board:

You can see that this one does in fact have evidence of dry joint syndrome setting in, particularly on the left-most joint. Re-flowing all three would probably sort out any issues this one has. If the piezo sounder were to be actually dead (unlikely but possible), then it would be very straightforward to desolder it and replace it, either with one salvaged from another CEM or a new one off the shelf. Don't have a part number to offer you right now I'm afraid but could probably be found relatively easily.

Bottom line - try reflowing the joint first. See the instrument cluster repair thread for more info on that if you're not up to speed on it already!

Bonus thought: If you're reflowing and/or desoldering it then nothing stopping you mounting it somewhere else in the car, maybe run a few long wires and put it in the passenger headrest just to keep them really reassured :lol:
Thank you very much! I will give it a try when I wake my car up again in April.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition