Pop Up Headlight working inside out

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Baxter
Knows where Volvo is from

Pop Up Headlight working inside out

Post by Baxter » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:42 pm

After changing the gas struts on the headlamps, derusting and greasing components, I started to put everything back on.

But now the headlamps works inside out. Pop up when the switch is off and pop down when the switch is on.

I have exchanged reles with no luck.

Everything worked properly two months ago (no activity since) but the car sits in a dump garage.

I'm a dummy for electrics, any clue is appreciate.

humm, the pop up motors are not identical? are they left hand and right hand side?

P.S I have edited the subject, now fits better the current situation.
Hector.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Pop Up Headlight working inside out

Post by jifflemon » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:27 am

Sound like you've got the linkage 180' degrees out.

The motors are not identical, but are interchangeable.

davekit
Started learning about 480

Post by davekit » Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:23 am

The motors on my lights are identical, and I have several duds which are all the same too. The only odd one I have seen was on ebay, and that just had a longer lead - no idea why, as it isn't needed.

The crank which sends the lights up and down is on a spline which can be moved 180 degrees by loosening the nut. However it sounds to me that you have swapped the two motors over when you had things in bits. While the motors are identical, I think one is inverted compared to the other.

Finally! Where did you get new struts from? I have been waiting weeks for some from Poland, and am desperate for some. Ebay has refunded me, but that doesn't get my lights back in full working order. BTW - duff struts can overload the motors and burn them out - voice of experience!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:08 pm

Its the drivers side one that has the longer lead, just because there's a little more stuff to thread it around. As you've pointed out, you can use the same motor on either side.

SGS engineering will do the struts, but they're quite expensive.

The ones I use on the rescue cars are identical and a fraction of the price!

davekit
Started learning about 480

Post by davekit » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:15 pm

I am waiting for SGS to get back to me on some struts. Where do you get the struts for the rescues from?

Meanwhile I have ordered some from Skandix, as I am in such need for them. Not cheap, but the postage nearly doubles the price!!! If they turn up it will be worth it, hopefully.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:26 pm

I had ordered from Skandix, and yes postage is very expensive for Spain too. Cheap for Germany
Time ago there were on Alliexpress. Not seen lately.

The thing is that the struts from skandix are not identical to the original ones. These struts act as the ones commonly seen on bonnets and trunks, when it is totally compressed there is no any force until it starts to extend.

The original strut has a costant pressure on it, more compressed, more strength. there is no dead point at the max compression when it is completely closed. I don't know if I have expressed correctly.
This is what I mean about the original strut. Surely is weaker that it should, the other one was completely shot but has pressure all the way in.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/x4rl8HFfkWg

I will start over and swap the motors. it is a bit tedious but I'm happy if it is only that.
Hector.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:47 pm

davekit wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:15 pm
Where do you get the struts for the rescues from?
Sorry, missed this - local supplier. Thought about adding them to the shop of horrors but officially your not supposed to post pressurised items.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:47 am

Problem solved.

It was enough to flip motors. And now there is more room (the correct) for the levers, before one of them was very close to the bracket.

So, motors cannot interchange side.
Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:01 pm

well, not that fast, one of the motors don't stop and makes an screaming noise very loud, it makes 3,6 or more cycles before stopping. The other side is perfect
I have dismantle again the headlamp and left only the motor rotating alone expecting the internal contacts could clean(the brinkie melody) but I think the problem is the rele as I have changed the motor for an spare one and makes the same/similar cycles.

The noise dissapeard with a bit of oil on the shaft.

But the rele looks ok.

I'm a bit lost.

Do I change the rele? I'd have to buy one, I dont't have an spare.
Hector.

Baxter

Post by Baxter » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:56 am

I have switched the motors and continue to move constantly both sides so I have opened a motor and the contacts are dirty but after cleaning no changes.

I jummped into the rele and again cleaning the contacts sanding a bit and voila, now the are perfect after a couple of more sanding contacts.

So, I understand that the problem is the rele and it is prone to fail when the internal contacs are not perfect.
Hector.