My Infocentre has died

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

My Infocentre has died

Post by andyb2000 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:40 pm

I think my infocentre has finally died (Sadly before I even got the car to MOT!) as now it's not showing anything on the LCD (even bright light shone through shows nothing), so it's either the LCD itself, the 'zebra' connector or the infocentre electronics have failed.
Searching back over historic posts, @brinkie and @jifflemon the experts in this field have helped loads, doing a few bench tests (I now have a test rig here so I can supply 12v from spare car battery (fused) onto the green and grey connectors onto the dashboard cluster) there are a few observations:
The 5 pin connector/prongs that send the data to the LCD processor seem fine, continuity is OK and I get a voltage reading on all pins (assuming they are modulated on something like a serial bus to the LCD controller) so this does seem to confirm the infocentre computer is powering up and generating a signal/power to the LCD. Not sure if there is an easy way to test if the data is 'good' or not though.
Are there any pins to probe on the infocentre computer to try and work out if it's alive and working or it's just receiving power and not running? (Trying to determine if it's LCD or computer failure).
I've tried re-cleaning the 'zebra' connector for the LCD, created a little more pressure on the clip to make sure it sandwiches correctly, cleaned the pins, checked power on the main board and illumination bulbs are working ok.

I suspect I'm in the market for both, the infocentre and LCD and at least I can then do further diagnostics and work out which is at fault before I delve further. (1994 2litre Volvo 480 ES with the dashboard with grey and green connectors plus SRS) So if anyone is selling the infocentre and LCD (Or ideally, the whole instrument cluster so I have a second to test/work on) please let me know.

Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: My Infocentre has died

Post by jifflemon » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:19 pm

Is the infocentre bulb the correct one and is it lighting up?

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:20 pm

And you haven’t removed the orange bridge fuse have you?

andyb2000
Started learning about 480

Post by andyb2000 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:24 pm

Just to add the replies on the thread (was also discussing on FB)
Yes magic orange link in place and confirmed infocentre bulbs lighting.

The LCD isn't doing anything shining bright light against it and nothing at all, no segments or anything so it's either the LCD controller or the infocentre computer not sending the data to the LCD chip.
I'm going to aim to get a replacement instrument cluster, test and compare. Will post back findings.
Thanks for all your help! - Andy
Volvo480 ES 2.0 petrol - 1994 (UK RHD L-reg)

blace
480 Newbie

Post by blace » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:13 pm

have..
pm

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:38 am

If the infocentre lights up and the bulb is confirmed working, it is mostly down to one of these:
1. Fuse for infocentre computer blown. Same fuse as cigarette lighter, so plug in a phone charger and check if it works.
2. Thin blue-brown wire not connected to alternator ground. This is the ground wire for the infocentre computer, it goes all the way to the alternator.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum