Washers not working

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

davekit
Started learning about 480

Washers not working

Post by davekit » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:29 pm

All three washers were working fine, but packed up one-by-one. All the pumps ran, so I decided that the grotty tank was sending gunk down the tubes and blocking things up. Not really an electrical problem then! I finally got the tank off when I found that on early 480s the header for the cooling system slides off - needed a block of wood and a hammer to get it moving though. With the washer tank off, it could be cleaned with a bottle brush fairly well.

Tank refitted, and cleaned front and rear washer jets. Front now working lovely, so at least it won't be a MoT fail. Rear only passes a pathetic dribble. The non-return valve is clear, so there should not be problem. I tried putting a squeezy bottle of water on the jet to back flush it, but again only got a dribble through to the valve. Any idea where the blockage might be and how to clear it? Also, does the pipe run through the sill (as implied by the parts drawing), or along the roof (as I had assumed)?

I haven't tried anything to clear the headlamp washers, as I was hoping I could get away without taking the headlamps apart. The pump makes two attempts at squirting, which I assume is what the CEM wants, but nothing comes through. Any ideas out there? Unfortunately the pop-ups are not working currently, so dismantling may be on the cards anyway. The joys of 480 ownership! Thanks for any suggestions!

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Washers not working

Post by Alan 480 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:22 pm

davekit wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:29 pm
I tried putting a squeezy bottle of water on the jet to back flush it, but again only got a dribble through to the valve. Any idea where the blockage might be and how to clear it? Also, does the pipe run through the sill (as implied by the parts drawing), or along the roof (as I had assumed)?
I used a bicycle pump to flush the rear washer pipe back to the tank, full of cr@p!!! when it cleared it actually shot the plastic milk bottle I was using to catch the cr@p across the top of engine! :shock:

needed to remove the hose from the back of the jet and pull the one way valve into an accessible location. it runs along the offside tucked into the head lining, i was maybe lucky as enough slack to get the non-return valve removed and replaced with joint piece and new non-return one down at the front of the car
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

davekit

Post by davekit » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:10 am

Bike pump sounds a good idea. Or maybe the airline at the petrol station? Maybe not!

However, if there is a second non-return valve at the back, then it won't back flush through that, so it needs pulling out as you say. I thought another valve could be present, but the parts list only specifies one (at the front). But then the parts list implies the tube goes through the sill, judging by the illustration. Goes to show, you can't believe everything that you read - even a Volvo parts list!

Another thought - I had the roof lining replaced, so if the tube is up there, it could have got trapped when the roof board was put back in. Hmmm! I'll try back flushing first - watch this space.

Baxter
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Baxter » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:01 am

Where is the non return valve located?. Never had water on the rear.

Thanks.
Hector.

davekit

Post by davekit » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:45 pm

Had to remove lots of trim to get to rear of back jet, and was not possible to pull any slack through on the tubing. There was no sign of a non-return valve at this end in any case. The tubing disappears along the lower edge of the back window, which looks exactly like is illustrated in the parts list, so I am pretty sure that it drops down by the door and through the sill. Still can't get more than a dribble of water through in either direction, but need to find a bike pump to see if more pressure clears it.

I think the parts list is correct for my car (1987 reg), so maybe I should apologise for doubting it! That is not to say newer cars have the same arrangement, but I would be surprised if the parts list did not show variations. There is always the possibility of a previous owner making changes. I wonder if I could run another tube through by another route?

Baxter - the non-return valve is about 6 inches along from the pump (rearmost of the three), and rests on the chassis rail. Flat round thing about an inch in diameter. Illustrated on parts list. If you haven't found that - don't go into forum, but click on downloads, then click on volvo 480 partsbook. Washers are on pages 266-7, valve is item 12.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:35 pm

davekit wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:45 pm
Had to remove lots of trim to get to rear of back jet, and was not possible to pull any slack through on the tubing. There was no sign of a non-return valve at this end in any case. The tubing disappears along the lower edge of the back window, which looks exactly like is illustrated in the parts list, so I am pretty sure that it drops down by the door and through the sill.
sorry, my failing memory about the non-return valve then, but pretty sure it ran along the top of the window, but after that where it goes, no idea.....
BTW 1993/1995 versions

my non returm was not working (wouldn't clear) so fitted a new one at pump end to make easier to clear
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

davekit

Post by davekit » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:56 pm

I bought a mini bike pump for £5, and some adaptors (for balls and inflateables) for another £5 from Halfords, and back flushed the rear washer. Worked a treat! So two down, one to go, but the headlamp washers can wait while other things are fixed. It's nice to get a small victory!