Help!! Half the electrics out after dome light shorted out.

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Can tell where the 480 was built

Help!! Half the electrics out after dome light shorted out.

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:50 am

Hi all, was replacing my headliner yesterday when two of the spade connectors touched and blew a fuse. Have replaced the fuse (22) but now the info-centre, glovebox lights, fan and radio no longer work and there is no power going to fuses 21 and 22.

Was thinking maybe a relay has popped, if so, which one?

Thanks in advance.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: Help!! Half the electrics out after dome light shorted out.

Post by MisterH » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:23 pm

When I read the title I thought initially CEM? I know my car seemed possessed when some water got on the circuit board. While it is a different circumstance I would suggest opening it up and checking it just to rule out

Otherwise, I would defer to the advice of my fellow Wedgeneers who are actually competent :lol:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:48 pm

MisterH wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:23 pm
When I read the title I thought initially CEM? I know my car seemed possessed when some water got on the circuit board. While it is a different circumstance I would suggest opening it up and checking it just to rule out

Otherwise, I would defer to the advice of my fellow Wedgeneers who are actually competent :lol:
Thanks Ben,

The CEM did cross my mind as the electric parts that aren’t working seem very specific. (Headlights, indicators, Windows, mirrors, moonroof all still work)

While my mechanical knowledge is good enough to sort out most jobs, electronics are way beyond my skills. I like to problem solve but looking at the haystack wiring looms under the dash gives me a headache :lol:

If I can’t fix it today or tomorrow I might just call a garage and see if they can figure something out
William

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:35 pm

Don't worry, many youths get anxiety thinking about social media. I get it when I look at a wiring diagram :rofl:

It will probably be either the CEM or a rely that has shat itself somewhere, just a question of which one
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:37 pm

Just a word of warning, when the trimmer did the same to my interior light, the insulation on the wiring melted before the fuse went and was damaged. It needed replaced before it could be safely used again. The wiring goes up the UK passenger side A-pillar. If it is damaged, you will need to get the wires from another car and they plug in behind the glove box.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:32 pm

Crisis averted, it turned out to be the mysterious solid orange fuse in position 23 that provides 21&22 with power that I (of course) didn’t check. Took it out and plugged it back and and I have my electrics back!

For some reason my fan doesn’t work though but just happy to have the infocentre back :))))

Thanks to Jeff and David who suggested the same thing.
William