Failing Electrics

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Joe S
480 Newbie

Failing Electrics

Post by Joe S » Sun May 28, 2023 12:06 pm

I have two(?) problems with the electrics on my 1994 B20F.
The most recent is very high exhaust emissions that makes the car unusable without damaging the catalytic converter. This issue has been discussed previously https://volvo-480-europe.org/forum/view ... hp?t=36155
I would like to know where the earth for the shielding of the lambda signal cable is located so that I can cut it as an interim solution.

The second problem although very annoying still allows the car to be used but I suspect the answer will be a replacement CEM.
The symptoms the car developed were that in the door controlled position the interior lights stay on permanently. Also when the car is locked after approximately 80 seconds the passenger door unlocks and the alarm is turned off. Then after a further 2 minutes the door relocks but the alarm stays off. The door actuator door continues to operate every 2 minutes with the door remaining locked.
I clear the stored fault codes 412 (Status output, alarm) and 415 (Interior light) then I disconnected the battery overnight. The result was no change with the locking and unlocking but now in the door controlled position the interior lights do not work.