Gas struts on pop up headlights.

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Oscar WS
480 Newbie

Gas struts on pop up headlights.

Post by Oscar WS » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:13 pm

I have a problem with the OS pop up that’s refusing to pop up on first switch-on but does so ‘reluctantly’ and with much disconcerting juddering on subsequent attempts. Having read the various helpful posts on pop up probs, it seems likely from one of Jeff’s recent ones that a knackered gas strut may be to blame. I’ve already had to replace the plastic bearings on the NS light and I fear the strain could do-in the OS ones. I understand I have to remove the nose cone. Questions: 1) do the gas struts clip off their static pivot? Or 2) Is there some way of popping out the retaining spring? 3) Are spares readily obtainable? If so a source, please. I do have two struts I’ve salvage from my donor car but one is seized and the other seems to offer little resistance. How firm should the resistance be?

Apologies for the long post for what seems a very simple problem.

Cheers

O
Current: ‘95 Celebration
First love, from new, (now donor car): ‘87 480 ES

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Gas struts on pop up headlights.

Post by jifflemon » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:39 pm

1) absolutely, but only after
2) there’s usually a clip that needs prying back, then they’ll pop off.
3) again, absolutely. I’ll drop you a Pm

Oscar WS
480 Newbie

Re: Gas struts on pop up headlights.

Post by Oscar WS » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:47 am

Ta, Jeff.
Current: ‘95 Celebration
First love, from new, (now donor car): ‘87 480 ES