Indicator & seatbelt warning chime?

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Indicator & seatbelt warning chime?

Post by WillC9303 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:37 pm

Hi all,

So apparently there is supposed to be an electronic indicator chime, as well as the seat belt warning one (this is news to me) - Mine just has a mechanical ticking sound when the hazards and indicators are on, and no sound for the seatbelt warning bulb. Can anyone confirm that this is a fault with my car or were they one of features dropped on later cars? Mine's a 93 model year if that helps.

I'm not sure if I've explained this very well, but hopefully someone knows what I mean?

Thanks

William
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Re: Indicator & seatbelt warning chime?

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:54 pm

No noise is made when the seatbelt warning light is on… this may have been on very early cars and then removed before the UK launch if you have seen it written somewhere in an advertisement, press release, etc.

There is a little buzzer in the CEM which you will hear on all 480s if you press and hold the heated rear windows button down for a while. Momentary press gives a timed “on”; long press, confirmed by the beep, means it is on continuously. The very early cars (maybe all CEM 1, I’m not sure) also do the same “beep” with the indicators. Trust me, it’s horrible and annoying and I wish it would go away… this is an early car quirk you don’t want!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:11 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:54 pm
No noise is made when the seatbelt warning light is on… this may have been on very early cars and then removed before the UK launch if you have seen it written somewhere in an advertisement, press release, etc.

There is a little buzzer in the CEM which you will hear on all 480s if you press and hold the heated rear windows button down for a while. Momentary press gives a timed “on”; long press, confirmed by the beep, means it is on continuously. The very early cars (maybe all CEM 1, I’m not sure) also do the same “beep” with the indicators. Trust me, it’s horrible and annoying and I wish it would go away… this is an early car quirk you don’t want!
Thanks for the help, glad to know that there's nothing wrong with my CEM. That's the one thing on my car I really don't want to break!

As for the seatbelt chime, I believe I saw it on a 1986 (or early 87) Dutch launch review on either Dailymotion or Vimeo. It was a silver ES with grey bumpers. I couldn't understand what they guy was saying, but when he turned the ignition on, you could hear a 'bong' sound on repeat until he put his seatbelt on, to which it then stopped. So I think you are right, it must be a VERY early (maybe preproduction) car thing, like the grab handles in the rear.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:39 am

As always with these cars, nothing is simple....

I have never encountered an indicator chime, so must be only very early cars (not even all CEM1 cars as I owned a 1988 ES back in the early 90s and it didn't do that).

Seatbelt warnings varied over time. On early cars (again as far as I recall from my 1988 model) if you undid either front seatbelt the light flashed and there was that clicking noise you described.

At some stage the warning system was removed from the passenger seat (cost cutting).

On my 94 GT, at start up, there are 6 beeps and the seatbelt light flashes 6 times, then that's it. Whether seatbelt is fastened is irrelevant.

On the 440, the seatbelt warning light flashes and clicks loudly and furiously whenever the ignition is on and the drivers seatbelt is not done up. It also flashes in time with the hazard lights if they are switched on.

So, to be honest Will, your 93 car might have something different again! The safest is to compare specifically to another 93 car...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:31 pm

Snazzy is a 93 - 6 bongs for the seatbelt is all I get, then it's 'well you obviously aren't listening to me so I'll stop wasting my amps'
:lol:
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any