Recommissioning a 480: 3. Lights

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

davekit
Started learning about 480

Recommissioning a 480: 3. Lights

Post by davekit » Tue May 17, 2022 4:45 pm

Part 1 is under ‘Secret Life’.

Some of the light problems were solved by replacing bulbs & fuses and removing corrosion from contacts (rear fog, reversing light, daytime/side light, courtesy lights, glove box, number plate). This resulted in the bulb failure light going out, which was a nice surprise. Still outstanding were the main beam, front fog lights and spot lights.

Main beam would flash but not stay on, and I convinced myself that a relay, either in the CEM or main box, was at fault. It took some while studying wiring diagrams to realise the switch could be faulty. A secondhand replacement was found and this fixed the main beam latching. As a bonus, the fog and spot lights joined the party, and even the flashing of the spots when the headlamps were down worked. On the downside, the indicators would not cancel! I sourced yet another switch, and this thankfully gave me full functionality.

The spot lights (long range lights) proved a bit hit and miss, but this was down to the switch. A good dosing with switch cleaner cured that, and while I was there the heated seat switches got cleaned too.