Ignition Off, Daylight Running Lights Staying On

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Xedra
480 Newbie

Ignition Off, Daylight Running Lights Staying On

Post by Xedra » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:48 am

Hi all!

I've just bought an '89 480 ES, and I must stress I'm completely new to the car so still rather unfamiliar with the cockpit and how everything works. Picked up the car this evening and all seemed well (couple of other small problems but nothing too major). Went inside and all was off then returned a few hours later to find the DRLs on. Tried the ignition and it struggled, but started, then tried the different headlight options and switches that I could identify (like I say, totally new to the car) but no matter what I tried the DRLs remained illuminated when the car was totally switched off.

The battery is drained now and the car no longer starts. Have I missed something really obvious or is there a fault somewhere that is keeping the lights on while the car is switched off. Like, could the fuel filler cap being open or an open door keep these lights on?

Unfortunately this turn of events has soured the day of the purchase a little. I don't have much mechanical experience with cars, so not sure how to proceed. Also, just to note, this is a left-hand drive car as I live in Belgium.

Thanks for any help and guidance!
1989 480 ES

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Re: Ignition Off, Daylight Running Lights Staying On

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:58 am

Hey Xedra and welcome. You haven’t gone mad, the DRLs are supposed to go immediately off with the ignition, except when the rotary light switch is rotated to the 1st or 2nd position. Nothing that I know of can keep them on other than if the driver has decided to make that choice with the rotary light switch.

These light switches vary by country with their exact function with parking lights and DRLs, but the very first thing I would try would be to pull the rotary light switch out (be brave!) and see if your DRL issue goes away?

Do your pop-up lights go up and down with the rotary switch?
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Xedra
480 Newbie

Re: Ignition Off, Daylight Running Lights Staying On

Post by Xedra » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:01 pm

Hi James, thank you very much for your welcome and detailed response.

Unfortunately due to the bureaucratic nature of buying and registering a car in Belgium, with the plates unique to the driver, I've had to leave it on a friend's driveway for now so I won't be able to get back at it until Friday or Saturday. Once we get the car jumped and hopefully running again (fingers crossed), I will try pulling the rotary light switch out if this DRL problem persists once it starts up again. Thanks for the suggestion, I would never have thought to do this as I would have assumed I was irreperably breaking the switch, so I'll give that a go if necessary and post an update.

The pop-ups go up and down and seem to be functioning perfectly so no issue there. Indeed, the switch was going through the other light settings fine, info centre and LEDs all good, just the DRLs not turning off despite the switch being in the off position and the car being off, key not in the ignition, everything else switched off fine.
1989 480 ES