replacing the speedo cable

From CEM to VEM, from LED to lightbulb and more. If you have an electrical problem, like a broken info-centre, search for answers in this category. This is also the place to be when you expect the problem to be of an electrical nature...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

bekes
480 Newbie

replacing the speedo cable

Post by bekes » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:26 am

Hello to all users

I would like to replace the part of the cable that goes from the connector under the air box to the connector number C62SB located slightly above the fuse box.

I was lucky enough to get a rebuilt dashboard from Robert

The speedo needle does not move.

The shielded cable coming from the cockpit seems to have only one wire in it. It looks like the metal armature is used to connect the second wire of the speedo.

I would like to know what parts of the car need to be removed to make this cable change.

thank you very much :boom:

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: replacing the speedo cable

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:55 pm

bekes wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:26 am
Hello to all users

I would like to replace the part of the cable that goes from the connector under the air box to the connector number C62SB located slightly above the fuse box.

I was lucky enough to get a rebuilt dashboard from Robert

The speedo needle does not move.

The shielded cable coming from the cockpit seems to have only one wire in it. It looks like the metal armature is used to connect the second wire of the speedo.

I would like to know what parts of the car need to be removed to make this cable change.

thank you very much :boom:
I'd remove the air filter and then see where that gets you,

Ideally it should be 'shielded' but i reckon you'd get away with a short length of twisted pair?

we used to have 'twisted pair' at the mill, and you might find some CAT5 cable is STP & has a foil over-wrap which would act as the shield, but use the internal wires to carry the signal....
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

bekes
480 Newbie

Re: replacing the speedo cable

Post by bekes » Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:38 pm

Good evening Alan, thank you for your recommendation.

I remember that at the time the speed sensor was changed by a mechanic. I had indeed broken the gearbox which had been replaced and I had then lost the speed indication.

I have just looked under the airbox and unfortunately at the connection a single white wire appears.
I am going to cut the sheath that contains the cable to see if a second wire appears behind the black rubber.

Thanks again for your help

Jean-henry